Is it too early in life to encourage my 16 year old to find a summer job?

Kids in these days want everything at the drop of a hat and I just can’t provide it all. It would be nice for the kids to understand what it takes to acquire things and that instant gratification is not the best policy. Is encouraging my sixteen year old to get a summer job a good idea or is it too soon in life?

sitbackandrelax

Asked by sitbackandrelax at 12:35 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Absolutely NOT too early! A job provides a huge education in countless ways. I pushed my firstborn to get a job within a couple months of his 16th birthday. He landed a good one at a grocery store. He learned a LOT! The job was union which is a lesson in an American way of life. The workers ranged from 16 to 70s, so he met high school drop-outs, young parents, a twenty-something with a DUI at the mercy of public transportation, older folks living paycheck to paycheck, older folks just seeking to be useful, bossy jerks, irrational managers, etc. Then he met John Q Public. Whoo-boy! Some nice, some rude, complainers, cheery folks, lonely folks, welfare check carriers, an elderly lady using up an obvious coin collection (how sad), every range of people. He quit during the school year when his AP classes got too demanding, but he enjoyed the $4000 he made in 7 months, so he'll get another job for sure!
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 12:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Heck no I got a job when I was sixteen and had straight A's. It was the best thing I ever did! I didn't do drugs or drink like most kids, because one I understood responsibility, and two even if I wanted to I didn't have time!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I had a job as soon as I turned 16 as well. My dad bought my first car, but I had to pay the insurance && my cell phone bill. I also continued to do well in school, all A's. I think it really taught me a lot about responsibility && not to take things for granted. I truly feel that I am a better person for not getting everything handed to me.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Absolutely not!  My 16 year old just got her first job. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I got my first job at 16. It was working at my Dad's gas station & he wouldn't let me get away with anything. It was a wonderful experience & I loved having my own money.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• if anthing is late! my df got his first job at a truss company at 15. i got my first job right after i had my dd when i was 16. i think kids these days do need to realize that parents cant buy them everything they want. they need to work for it
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• No its not to late, my 15 yr old is trying to find a job but has had not luck. So he started knocking on doors to ask neighbors if they had any extra work for him to do. He will start paining the neighbors fence tomorrow. I continue to teach him that everything good in life you must work for. Good Luck
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 2:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2009