Is it alright to give a 8 month old vanilla ice cream?

My daughter will not eat anything while I am away at work. We have tried pumping milk, soy formula, pureed foods...but she likes ice cream. We gave her a small taste
because she was curious when we were all having some and she likes it a lot and seems to be very enthusiastic about it..but now I am thinking is it okay to give her ice cream this young....

LMNagovskiy

Asked by LMNagovskiy at 12:57 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would, not as that only thing in her diet but a littl eher eand there wont hurt anything.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:08 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I say no...they're not supposed to have dairy til one year and that's a bad habit to start anyway.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:12 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would say its ok, alittle at a time. i dont think a little ice cream every once in a while is a "bad habit"
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 1:34 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would say you're better off with frozen yogurt. If she doesn't have digestive issues with the dairy, then a little is ok. The reason they say not to start milk until 1 year is to scare people from replacing breastmilk or formula with it. It's not nutritionally complete enough for that. But as long as she's not lactose intolerant or allergic to milk, it shouldn't be an issue, having a little here and there.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:42 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• If she isnt eating her proper foods then I would say no. If you want to use th ice cream for a treat and only special occasions then I guess it's ok.

Even then, I wont be giving my DD any of this kind of food until she is much older (like 3-5) I just think it is unnecessary and empty calories and sugar. That's why you see hypo kids running around. I am against babies having any junk food even as treats but each to their own. They dont know what their missing until you show them
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 2:17 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• "" I just think it is unnecessary and empty calories and sugar. That's why you see hypo kids running around.""

Kids only get hyper from suger and sweets for like 15 minutes so don't blame junk food, and sweets for kids being hyper and out of control, that has to do with how the parents raise the child. Its the same with caffine and kids.. I give my DS ice cream everyonce in a while, it actually help him calm down when his gums are bugging him. I wouldn't say give it too her as food, i'd say as once and while thing is ok, but not everyday. As far as feeding her while your at work try giving her something soft like pasta, its easy for them to eat without choking. She may not want baby food, because she doesn't see everyone else eating that.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 4:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• When my dds had hand, foot, and mouth about 2 months ago, my ped told me to give them ice cream, popsicles, etc...
    He told me that I should avoid bottles because it would hurt the sores in her mouth and to only give cold items. Well, my youngest ( now almost 11 mo) lived on ice cream for almost a week until it went away and loved it.
    We have given it to her a couple of times since...but not more than one small spoonful her or there.
    I would check with your ped as they say no eggs until 1 and ice cream contains eggs.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:37 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My concern would be that you would choose to give this as her sole source of nutrition all day. An 8 month old needs formula or breastmilk. Look at the vitamins and minerals listed on a formula can. Now look at the ice cream container. You can see why this isn't a complete food, all other issues with ice cream aside. I don't let my babies choose what they eat by deciding if they like it or not. My kids are enthusiastic about eating dirt. I offer a ton of healthy options, and let them have at it. Ice cream isn't on that list. It's got some calcium, but the bad fat content isn't worth it. I didn't see finger foods on your list of things she likes. Babies like to try to do it themselves. Perhaps some soft chunks of food would be accepted. At this age, breastmilk is preferable, but do what you can. And she will eat if she's hungry. If she loads up on ice cream during the day, she isn't going to nurse at night.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:15 AM on Jun. 17, 2009