Anyone else have children with allergies to laundry soap?

About 6 months ago we had to switch laundry soap in our house due to an allergic reaction that my 2 yr old son had... I got this laundry soap that has ZERO dyes and ZERO perfumes... Everything was going fine, until about a week ago! Once again, my son has a horrible rash... I took him to the doctors and they suggested that I switch laundry soap, AGAIN!!! Could it be possible that he was fine with the newer laundry soap up until about a week ago? Sounds a little odd to me... I mean if he were allergic to it wouldnt he have broken out in this horrible rash when I switched over to it?
Has anyone else had problems like this with a child who was/is allergic to their laundry soap? What worked for you?

sxc_mom_of2

Asked by sxc_mom_of2 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son is very sensitive to detergents and has been fine since we started buying Charlies. You could try making your own. Do you use dryer sheets or fabric softener or anything like that?
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:05 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• make my own? WOW! How do you do that? LOL Sorry Im not very crafty or creative... We do use dryer sheets but they too are dye and perfume free....
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 1:10 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I still would stop the dryer sheets, we have found them all to be irritating to the skin even the ones that say all natural. There are TONS of different recipes for making your own laundry soap, but most involve washing soda and borax. If you google it a lot of them will come up.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:12 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• wow! Thanks!!! I will try to get rid of the dryer sheets too.... anything is worth a shot when it comes to children!
    Thanks so much!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 1:16 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• No problem. Also here is the link to the Charlies Soap if you want to try it....

http://www.charliesoap.com/

Don't be scared off by the fact that it is $15 for a little bag.  You only need to use like a tablespoon of it for a GIANT load of laundry.  I've been using the same little bag for over 6 months.

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I was able to switch to the dye and perfume free stuff. My mom had to use Ivory Snow soap for my dad. She couldn't use bleach or dryer sheets on his stuff. She used a water softener to help the whites get whiter.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 1:22 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I haven't had personal experience with my children having a reaction but I have been considering getting a magnetic laundry system. From what I understand you just purchase the magnetic laundry sytem for $49.95 and you no longer need detergent, softner or bleach. It is guaranteed and supposed to be better for the life of your clothing as well as the environment too. It uses less water and doesn't have any of the chemicals. You can find out more at http://www.lifenatural.com/laundry.htm.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 8:30 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I went thru the same thing when my sons were younger with allergic reactions to laundary soap. When the were babies I had to use Tide baby laundary soap. Than as they got older I discovered they didn't break out when we used cheap brands of laundary soap. What brand of soap do u use? Because it usually has to do with the brands not so much with the dyes or perfumes. As my sons are 8 and 6 yrs old now. They still have a reaction to certain brands. For example I can not use Tide laundary soap. The one we are currantly using is Gain and so far we all have no reaction to it what so ever. Even I am senstive to what brands of soap we use. And its not only the laundary soap it can also be body soap or wash.
    DustyDawn

Answer by DustyDawn at 10:37 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Not my son, but I have had allergic reactions to Tide, and Purex. The only ones that I can use are Gain or ERA, everthing else makes me break out in an itchy rash. If you are using Dye Free, Fragrence Free laundry soap then I would think it is something else that he is allergice to.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Use Seventh Generation :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2009