autism in infants

my son is almost 7 months old, he responsed to his name being called, laughs and plays, cries for me when i leave the room, etc. But i have a few concerns, he always is moving his hands in awkward ways, and here recently he will sway from side to side and move his head with him. its driving me nuts not knowing if this maybe signs, just today it dawned on us that it maybe that. do you have any advise or know anything?

calimlakey

Asked by calimlakey at 1:37 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Health

• All sounds very normal for his age. If you are that worried about it then talk with your doctor.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• How much is he babbling?
    Obviously it's a long time until you could have him diagnosed, and you wouldn't want to drive yourself crazy in the meantime worrying. Most importantly, cover his world with language. Talk, sing, and play language games all the time. Narrate your activities. Encourage play and response activities, such as peek-a-boo and hide and seek.
    My son is 6 and was diagnosed with autism at 2. He is doing wonderfully now after responding very well to treatment. If I could've done anything differently, I would've begun working with him like that as soon as I noticed anything. I mean, even if he hadn't turned out to be diagnosed with autism, more education never hurt anyone. And a jumpstart on therapy will be great if a diagnosis is in the future.
    Most importantly, enjoy all the crazy and quirky things a new baby does. This stage will be over as soon as you get used to it. Don't let all our talk worry u
    ben-n-henrysmom

Answer by ben-n-henrysmom at 4:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2009