You do too drink. You are Mexican, you drink Corona.

If someone said this to you, and you were a Mexican, would you be offended? The person that said it, thought it was hilarious, but the people that it was said to, didn't agree. This happened at work, and since then, lines have been drawn.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• I would be offended. For starters, I am Mexican. So if somebody said that to me I would take it the wrong way. Thats like saying that all mexicans drink. And thats the only beer either 1..we can afford, or 2. that thats the only dam beer that sells in Mexico therefore mexicans are used to drinking Corona. IDK.. Especially if the person was laughing about it, it was a joke to them but at the expense of the one that it was said to.. Personally I would of taken it the wrong way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• probably, if it was said to me by a close friend maybe not, but if it was someone who didn't know me and was making a generalization than yes it would probably offend me. and no i'm not mexican
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:28 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• lol , that is funy , i dont take offense of any commects like that i normaly say its true
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 2:28 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Pretty insensitive I think. If it bothered you let them know. Racism comes in many forms usually lead by ignorance
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 2:30 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• they probaly didnt understand that it offended you because they might be joking with someone else who is hispanic about that...you can just say you know that kind of annoys me so i would like for you to not make comments like that.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:32 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• i agree with the first response.
    If it was a person i didnt know well, then yes, i'd probably be offended. were is the line drawn between what is acceptable and what is not?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:33 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I think thats rude, and people shouldn't say stuff like that, and if they didn't think it would affend the person thats why people should always think before they speak
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:47 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• stereotypical remarks like that are usually offensive and certainly not appropriate things to say at work and cause problems.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:07 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Ummm Im not mexican but my Best Friend is..and we joke like that alot...never anything negative intended...i wouldnt make a comment like that around my job, you dont know those people like best friends and people take offense to things. If someone i didnt know made a comment about my race at work id be pissed!! and offended! The workplace isnt a place for that!....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:12 AM on Jun. 17, 2009