My son is 3 months old and for the past few days he has been making my nipples so sore!

He nurses and nurses until he falls asleep, however long that may be, but for the past few nights he has been so fussy on the breast and smashing his face into it and coming back, kicking my stomach when we feed lying down, and just lately it feels as if he is rolling the tip of the nipple between his gums and it hurts incredibly bad. I have never had a problem with him nursing or with poor latches of anything.

What could be causing him to do this?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 2:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Teething possibly or it sounds like the 3 months growth spurt. The pushing in and out is his way of trying to get more milk. Make sure you are getting enough water and just nurse him whenever and for however long he wants. This will pass in about a week or so if it is a growth spurt. Your body will very quickly get the hint and up supply.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:34 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• it could be teething, babys can start teething as young as 3 months.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 3:12 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• What can I do to help him?
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 3:35 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would call the labor and delivery unit where you had your baby and ask the nurse's there if they know of a local BF support group. There are trained experienced ladies out there that probably have lots of advice, tips, and support for you.
    Teething sounds like a reasonable cause, does it feel like you have enough milk? I think your mommy instincts would cue you in if he wasn't getting enough milk and was fustrated.
    Sorry I can't be of help. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• If it is teething, rub his gums until they literally squeak. It will help the tooth break through and makes their gums numb.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Well, he continually nurses until he falls asleep and so I know at some point he does drink all of that milk I have at the moment. That could be it. What can I do to help my supply up when he needs more like this?

and if it is teething, how can I get him to like teething rings and stuff like that? He hates chewing on anything that isn't me.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 4:03 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Maybe a growth spurt so just nurse on demand. My son pawed at me around that age & shook his head from side to side. My LC said it was their way of making letdown happen more quickly.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2009