Should I feel kinda bad? :(

First off, I miss my puppy alot! She is at the vets right now and I miss her terribly! But I was feeling bad because I had her spaded and now I feel guilty because she will never be able to have babies now. Should I feel guilty for this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pets

• NO!!!!! You are being a responsible pet owner. Have you seen the Sarah McLachlan commercials? Do you know how packed the shelters are because people are too lazy to get their animals fixed? I commend you for making the decision to get her spayed, thank you.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 3:23 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I STRONGLY agree!!!! Dont feel bad at all!!! Feel good- you are saving animals from having to be put to sleep... when the shelters are sooooo packed they gotta do something with them.... so they put them under! Be happy you are making a difference!!!! I have a dog that would make me TONS of money if I were to breed her, but I choose not too, I got her fixed instead! There are too many animals dying because of irresponsible pet owners... I pat you on the back for getting your fixed!!!! Thanks!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:27 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Thank you MansfieldMomma! :)

I just felt so bad because I know that I love having my babies and thought maybe she would love being a mother as well. However, I am also realistic and know that animals are not life long parents like people are.

I just needed a reassuring fellow momma to remind me that I made the best choice for my sweet doggie.

I miss her and can not wait to pick her up in the morning! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Thanks to you too sxc_mom_of2! :)

Some of you CMers are so awesome and helpful! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I agree with everyone else, you are making a great decision that is the best for your pet. In addition to keeping the pet population under control, spaying and neutering your pet reduces the risk of testicular or mammary tumors later in life. So you could be preventing a terrible illness in your pet as well. Congratulations on a great decision!
    FilteredThought

Answer by FilteredThought at 3:35 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Any time, and once again, thank you for making the right choice. I hope you get to cuddle with your puppy tomorrow and I know you are very much looking forward to enjoying her company again! <3 Have a great night!!! :D
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 3:38 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Some people let their pets mate once, then spay them. You are a new pet owner? Congrats!
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• You did the right thing! Another benefit of spaying is that you have decreased her risk for mammary cancer to nearly zero. Just going into heat one time increases their risk. The risk increases as they get older and have more heats.

http://www.caninecancerawareness.org/html/CanineCancerMammary.html
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• just know that when dogs have puppies they take care of them out of instinct not out of love so your doing her a favor really. she doesn't really want or care to have puppies. she will be healthier and happier. she won't have her hormones like we have ours making us cranky.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My dog was spayed when she was little, and she is still a little momma. She is very nurturing to our baby. She gets up for ever feeding and has to be the first one in the baby's room in the morning. It's responsible to spay and neuter pets, but it doesn't mean the don't have families.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 3:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2009