• In the Spotlight:

What do you consider to be modest?

Please give examples. and also are there certain things you do not wear out of respect for your husband? thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Skirts to the knee, I don't have large boobs so I can get away with a lower neck line. Pants should not be up your butt. Showing your tummy is just to overtly sexy(like your trying too hard). I liked to be comfortable so I'm typically in yoga or jogging clothes. My DH likes it when a put on heels and a form fitting dress.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Modesty comes in all shapes and sizes, and is extremely subjective. IMO i am modest in the way i dress as much as i can help it, compared to others my age. I ask my SO if i look okay and all everyday, if he were to tell me he doesnt like it, or its not me...i would probably change. I have large breast, so hiding them isnt easy. So if i wear i V-neck shirt at all it looks like i have a TON of cleavage...i think some people might stare at me and wonder why, but i make sure my clothes fit...and look presentable. I wouldnt allow my behind to hang out...or be extreme with the tops..for one im a mom, and 2 i just find it unapealing
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:59 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• MODESTY IS SUBJECTIVE AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AGE. I WILL BE 60 THIS YEAR, 5"2, 115 POUNDS AND I LIVE IN MIAMI, WHERE THE WEATHER IS SUPER HOT, SO IN THE SUMMER I WEAR AS LITTLE AS I CAN WITHOUT BEING TRASHY. I DON'T OWN ANYTHING AGE APPROPRIATE, BECAUSE I MAKE SURE MY BODY IS TIGHT AND TONED SO I CAN WEAR THESE THINGS AND STILL LOOK GOOD.

Answer by older at 8:13 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Modesty is subjective.  I wear what is appropriate for the weather and the occasion without compromising my own style.  If other people don't like it, that is THEIR problem, not mine!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• modesty to me is not showing my boobs, or belly or wearing mini skirts. all these things are to respect God and my husband.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• To me modesty is what God prescribed. the covering of bodies as he commanded both for men and women. Modesty is in behavior, in talk and in thinking. Is there something that i would not wear for respect of my husband.NO. i wear anything and everything i want for my husband.. from modest to extremely lewd , to naked :) BUT IT IS FOR MY HUSBAND ONLY. When I go out of my home I dress for Allah. I cover every part that is considered the private parts of the women. In our case, that is everything. Because that is what Allah commanded for us. Now he didn't command this because he wants to make us miserable or oppressed. He commanded it as a protection for us and only he has the wisdom behind it. My husband covers what is considered private parts of men when he is out and even when he is home. He doesn't walk around any kind of way because we have a daughter and also because he tries to be mindful of Allah. i like it. :)
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:23 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Modest apparel does not call attention to any body part except the face. When I buy clothes, I am not thinking about pleasing or displeasing my husband. I am concerned only about being an honor to my heavenly Father. I am very aware of the closeness of the fit as well as how much skin the outfit reveals. The most attractive women are the ones who glow with the presence of the Lord in their lives, and that presence always shows up in the face.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• i think modesty has more to do with why you are wearing a certain type of clothing. is it being worn for sexual attention from strangers? is it being worn b/c its the expected style (prom/wedding dresses are usually strapless)?

i know for me, modesty is important and is about not dressing in a way that would get the wrong kinda attention. if a part of the body would be censored on TV, it shouldnt show (obviously), and i also think showing my midriff (which no one wants to see :D) is immodest.

as far as my DH not wanting me to wear something, he has never had to worry about that. i think Aasiyah said it best. i don't dress (in public) to please my DH, i dress according to my faith & how i think God wants me to. if i am dressed inappropriately it sends the wrong message about myself, my family, & my faith. now in private...anything goes in private :D
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:59 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I'm too fat to be anything but modest:) even if i was thinner i definately wouldnt show off my belly, i think that is trashy no matter who u are, and no one should see more than one inch of the line that looks like it seperates the breasts. just above the knee is ok, except in church, but if i can see ur cellulite, ur showing too much
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My hubby doesnt care what I wear cuz its my body(his words).

Im not comfy showing off more than a little cleavage.

As for everyone else, to each their own. However, I do find showing your bum cheeks to be disturbing. So to me thats a bit immodest or if you wear shorts/pants that ride too low in front too.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 17, 2009