• In the Spotlight:

So, apparently, women are having babies later in life because....

They can just have IVF treatment now. Women who want children aren't doing it at the oppurtune time simply because they can just do it this way.

Does this bother you? Do you think that IVF is allowing much older women-who are more then likely past the point of child bareing-to just get pregnant at any old time without even needing/wanting a partner?

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 7:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• hah, you things make me laugh.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Nope not at all...i think if a woman wants a child, and has the means to love and care for it, then GREAT! Science has made progress and found the means to allow this to happen by all means take advantage!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:56 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Does not bother me at all. Maybe they also want to be financial stable and established, find the right man, not the man of the hour, and maybe they are feeling it is ok to make their own choices about their fertility! GO GIRLS!!!

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:08 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Society in general influence women to get married later in life.  We are told to get our education and start our carrers and get financially settled before having kids.      We women find that they do want children and also discover they have fertility problems because of putting off child bearing till we are older and less fertile.

I was told marriage was bad and get financially settled before starting a family.  I was then 32 years old.  I got married. and found out I have profound fertility problems. 

I now have two miracle kids.  Doctors had to intervene. I still want one more child.  In the south, my  fertility doc, Doctor T, told me he does not treat women over the age of 39.

I recently moved to the north, and hope a doctor here will treat me.  I so long and desire another child.

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 8:10 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Women are having children later because it takes longer to become established in life. Saving that down payment is harder than it used to be.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:10 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Sorry... you are slamming women for getting and education and becoming financially stable before having kids then paying for IVD.

You would prefer if she got knocked up at 16 by the first guy that came along??? Well, I see by your screen name that you probably would. But this is really rude and judgemental. Maybe someone tried to make all the right decisions thinking the right guy would come around and he never did... so she wants to be a mom and step out to do it on her own.

Why do you care which road someone takes to motherhood?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• If a woman is healthy enough to have a baby, GO FOR IT. It is great that science has helped in this process. Sometimes our "old view" of motherhood need to be changed to the 21st century.
    lordsong1002

Answer by lordsong1002 at 8:34 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Would you use IVF if you had trouble conceiving?  Its not always about age.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Wait till she gets a little older, she will feel a lot differently about things!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The older women get the more likely they are to have problems with pregnancy and the higher the risk for birth defects to the baby like downs syndrome. As long as they are aware of this and are ok with it then I see no problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jun. 17, 2009