for the non-vaccinating moms out there...

i know that this can be a heated topic, but i've always had an honest question to you moms...just general curiosity ;)
in all seriousness, how were you able to not have your newborn vaccinated at the hospital when they were born? i thought that they had to be vaccinated before you and your baby were discharged...
also, how were you able to enroll your child into school without an immunization card?
i'm not bashing at all, so any negative, off topic, or assumptive answers will be ignored. you won't get a rise out of me.
it's your child, and if you choose not to vaccinate that's your choice, i just really was interested in how you go about these situations? thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• At the hospital, you have to sign a consent form. It's usually buried in the stack of dozens of other consent forms you fill out when you're registering -- so most people don't even realize that's what they're signing off on. If you don't sign it -- no shot.

As for school, daycare, etc --- every state allows for exemptions (medical, religious, philosophical). Not all states allow for all three options, but every state does allow for at least one of these. The parents simply fill out the exeption form & turn it into the school.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I do vax. My doc asked me at the hospital if I wanted my DD to get the hep b shot and I declined because I wanted one doctor (and only one) to give my DD shots. It was just a matter of records. They didn't give me a hard time at all.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:08 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Vaccination is a choice. If you tell a doctor you do not want a vaccination for your child it is illegal for him to do so. And you can object on moral or religous grounds which is also what you tell the school. Good question!
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 8:09 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• All states allow vaccination exemptions for school.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:25 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The above posters are correct. vaccinations are a choice. When my last child was born I made it known in writing, and verbally that she was to receive no vaccinations. My children are sensitive to them, and my oldest was injured by his vaxxes.
    All states allow a medical waiver (like I use) for admission to school. Most states also allow religious beliefs waiver, and personal beliefs waivers.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 17, 2009