Does anyone know anything about background checks?

I asked this in the work category and didn't get much of a response and I would really like to know about this, please.

I was convicted of a felony over 20 years ago that I never had to serve jail time for, just one year probation.

I know when I fill out a job application and it asks if I was convicted of a felony within the past 7 or 10 years, I can honestly answer no.

What if it just asks if I was ever convicted of a felony? How far back do they search?

If I divulge what type of felony it was then I know my resume will immediately be thrown in the trash, even though it was a long time ago and I was a stupid 20 year old.

Is there any sort of legal advice anyone can give me either professional or from personal experience?

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i agree if it asks ever then tell the truth if u still get hired least they cant fire u for that saying u lied, i know what its like to be young stupid and hopefuly someone will see past the past and give u a chance. as for the first post... thats horrible getting fired after so many years, to bad they couldnt look past it and think well hes been here x amount of years and hes good. good luck hun. xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I work for a school district and one of our custodians had a felony when he was 19 and he is 43 now and we all had to have back ground checks last school year and he has been working for the school district for several years and they fired him.
    hcashe216

Answer by hcashe216 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Well....unfortunately, poor choices have consequences. If your application asks if you were EVER convicted of a felony, then you must answer honestly. YES, you were. Lying on an application is serious business.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:25 AM on Jun. 17, 2009