• In the Spotlight:

Do you believe in God because it gives your life meaning?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:26 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have a purpose, even without God I would serve some purpose. I just feel that with God in my life I have a higher purpose, as I feel called to do His work, rather than my own, if that makes sense.
    But, aside from God there is a lot of purpose to be found in my life, and without Him there would be still. Although, with Him it makes everything so much more enjoyable and meaningful.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My life has always been full and meaningful. It has also been full of misery, depression and negativity. I've always managed to go through all good and bad without blaming God or hating God or disbelieving in God. I've always beleived in God. I didn't always know who God was or what my purpose in life was. N ot knowing allowed me to fall deep into despair, depression and negativitiy in many things, many situations. However now that i know who God is through the lens of Al Islam, i am able to remove those things from my life and look at everything and every situation as a blessing, a mercy whether it is bad or good and i know how to apply my belief to things that occur in my life and through this knowledge i am able to live life free of those negatives. Believing in God is not a human failure...it is the core of human success.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:11 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Thank you for your answer Aasiyah!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:16 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Sure God gives your life meaning...but it's more than just that. I can see the works of God in everything. It's not something I can deny. I have to believe.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:24 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• You are welcome Ihart!
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:26 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• interesting question....

i suppose in a sense i do...
    looking at who we are, how complex the human race is and nature and just the thought of what our purpose is....all of these things, you're bound to sometimes at the very least, ponder on the thought of "there's gotta be something bigger than this".... and " what is my purpose here"....

we all feel we might have some sort of purpose... "my purpose here is to be a listener" my purpose here is to be a good mother...." etc...however you see it. but basic philosophy suggests the next pratical question "but WHY am i supposed to be here, and do this" what is the purpose of my supposed purpose" lol, i could ponder this stuff all day. ;) the root of all mankind is spiritual. it's embedded in our souls. whatever our religion or belief, it's there, whether for the better of mankind or for the worse... possibly linked to the survival trait? believing = strive/survival.
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 9:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• so i guess my more accurate answer to your question would be yes, i believe in God because it gives my life meaning...it's not the sole reason, but it plays a very big part.
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 9:37 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• if i didnt believe i would be lying to myself. i tried to talk myself out of my faith. i read books that tried to dispel God. i questioned EVERYTHING about Christianity, studied up on other faiths to see if something else was better. i didnt find anything and i was very depressed. i was questioning my purpose in life, then i found out i was pregnant. my pregnancy was not expected (i was on BCP) & i was very upset & worried about it. while i was pregnant i had time to meditate & focus on what i believed. i feel that my DD was the sign from God that i needed. it was like He was saying Im here, Im in control, & I know whats best. granted, my faith has changed A LOT since then, but i believe in Him b/c He gave me my DD, who has given my life true meaning. i know my DD's conception isnt a miracle, but she was given to me at just the right time, when i was searching for validation: its like somebody knew. hope that makes sense.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:47 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I asked this question because I wanted to know if the ONLY reason people believe in God is becuse they think there life would have no meaning without one. I see alot of people say it's PART but not all of the reason and I like that answer!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I believe God gives my life a higher purpose (especially since I feel Him calling me to do His work), but not necessarily meaning in and of itself. I know that, even were there no God, my life would be very meaningful.
    I don't believe in Him for that - I believe in Him because of the relationship I have with Him - I could no sooner deny His existence than my husband's or my son's, as He is a part of my every day life.
    Not to mention that study and reflection strengthens my convictions.
    But, no, it really doesn't have anything to do with giving my life meaning.
    Hope that helps!
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2009