for the non-vaccinating moms out there...

i know that this can be a heated topic, but i've always had an honest question to you moms...just general curiosity ;)
in all seriousness, how were you able to not have your newborn vaccinated at the hospital when they were born? i thought that they had to be vaccinated before you and your baby were discharged...
also, how were you able to enroll your child into school without an immunization card?
i'm not bashing at all, so any negative, off topic, or assumptive answers will be ignored. you won't get a rise out of me.
it's your child, and if you choose not to vaccinate that's your choice, i just really was interested in how you go about these situations? thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• When I had my son I signed to say we declined the shots and eye cream and were released no problem. When he went to school I had to affidavit stating our reason for exempting him from vaccinations and also supply them with a form signing off on all the different diseases he has never contracted or been exposed to. I did have to make one concession. He had to recieve a TB test to check if he has Tb or been exposed to it. It was the only thing they raised a huge funk about. But I live in Texas and they have a very strict school system here.
    Anonymous

• you get a paper from the school district saying you do not chose to get shotgs and no you dont have to get them before you leave the hospital they even asked me if i wanted it for ,y baby and i said no im not a nut job give her the shots
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• LOL @ Anon 8:55AM

I vaccinate my children, and no, their autism was NOT caused by vaccinations--it's GENETIC. You can't "catch or give someone" Epilepsy, Dyslexia, Downs Syndrome, or any other genetic disability just like you can't "give" someone Autism.

On the back of the school district immunization record card is an Exemption form, that just needs to be signed by the parent....it's that easy...and it's why my children WILL be vaxed!

Since their diagnosis and additional vaccinations, their disabilities have IMPROVED dramatically, not worsened! They both spend 80% of their day in REGULAR EDUCATION classrooms, and are at or above their grade levels academically.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:04 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• to the first anon answer, you can make your point without caling names.

lorikeet, i'm the poster of this question...thank you for your answer, i didn't suggest that autism etc was a result of vaxing your kiddos, but i do realize that some peeps think that way....thank you for replying kindly ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• 1.-Some hospitals don't give the hep b studies have shown adverse side effects so due to litigation some hospitals already are not giving it. They leave it for the pediatrician to decide for parents.

2.- Get a copy of the Vaccine Exemption in any state agency.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• You just tell the hospital you will not be having the vaccine while at the hospital. They usually let it go. My first daughter was vaccinated without my permission, but I truly believe it was an error, and at the time, we planned on having it any way. My second daughter, it was not big deal. They gave me the form to sign, and I told them she would not be getting the vax at the hospital. No biggie.

Most states have exemptions. They've been around since vaccines came out.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:03 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I told my sons doctor and the hospital we were not vaccinating while he was so young and would not sign the forms so they could give him any shots. We were actually delaying vaccinations until he was bigger and giving them one at a time. The first shot he got nearly killed him so he remains unvaccinated.

Each state has exemptions most have them for religious and medical reasons others are more progressive and allow parents to simply make a choice. We live in an oppressive state where we have to deliver an exemption for only medical or religious. It is not that easy to find a doctor who will fill out a medical exemption or you can lie and say it is for religious reasons. Sucks parents have to resort to that to do what they feel is best for their own children. Frankly the schools should not have any access to my kids medical info and I should not have to provide proof of anything to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Simply tell them you will not be vaccinating your child. The exemptions are for school and daycare and have nothing to do with the hospital. There are some screenings that some states don't let you leave without having done, but the vaccinations are not mandatory. You have to sign a form to ALLOW them to give the shots so you simply don't sign them and make sure they know that you are not vaccinating. Others have touched on the exemptions for school and daycare so I won't repeat that stuff again.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• thank you all for your answers!
    Anonymous