Can you breastfeed a tongue tied baby?

My new nephew is tongue tied and they are trying to tell me they can't breastfeed because of it. Anyone know if that's true? Also, not sure if it matters but my sister had huge tatas before getting pregnant so they are very large now. I know that can sometimes be an issue, but there is a way to bf this baby right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My brother was tongue tied but we didn't find out til he was like three. he was bottle fed though. But I would imagine it would be the same. If you know the baby is tongue tied why don't you just have it fixed. Just a question not trying to offend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• OP here~ They won't fix it till he's much older the Dr. says. he's too little, I thought they could fix but apparently not.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Ask the lactation person and LeLeche...if he can be breastfed, they will teach you how..
    yesitscynthia

Answer by yesitscynthia at 9:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Hey I was tongue-tied, and I was breastfed until 6 months. I was tongue-tied all the way up til I was 5 or 6 years old.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• yes you can breastfeed a tongue-tied baby, tongue-tie can be fixed early, and i'm almost positive that breast size does not matter. your sis was either sabotaged by bad advice, or is just being selfish and using these reasons as an excuse. how old is the baby? she can still breastfeed if she wanted to. she could contact an lc and la leche league llli.org, and ask them for information.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• OP here~ He will be one week old Friday. I don't think she really wants to bf and I know I'm pushing the subject but I'm so frustrated she wouldn't want to try at least. If it really won't work I can't complain but I know you can bf a tongue tied baby... just needed other opinions.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• my dd was severely tongue tied at birth, she had a lot of problems latching. she did it for a while, but when i'd get engorged or ready to feed she couldn't wrap move her tongue appropriately, but we did see a Lactation counselor and she helped a bit, but it didn't last long. I ended up pumping for 2 months cause my dd would get frustated on the boob. we did get her tongue fixed, when she was 2 weeks old. simple procedure for us. she was "hooked" on the bottle by then and she didnt' relatch, but she prob. could of. find a good ENT andd ask if they do it, it was an in office procedure. PM if you want more info, I got tons!
    clransom

Answer by clransom at 11:09 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Go get his tongue clipped and you can breastfeed just fine and if you don't get it clipped now he could have speech problems in the future. My son was tongue tied and before he got clipped I would be in excruciating pain while nursing that if I hadn't known any better I would have given up and given a bottle. His was clipped at 3 weeks old and if it had been caught in the hospital like my cousin's child then they would have done it then!

As for not fixing until he is older that is bull crap. A ped or family doc might not, but we saw an ENT and he did. It is recommended that it be done near to birth so as to avoid possible speech problems.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• heres a thought. check with a dif pediatrician. if they can do a circumcision at days old why cant they clip a tongue.
    melanielmcgee

Answer by melanielmcgee at 1:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• maybe you can explain to her how bad formula really is and provide her with support and information. if she still says no, you will know she is not breastfeeding due to her own selfish agenda. tell her to see an ENT specialist to get the baby's tongue clipped.
    Anonymous