how can you tell when your water is about to break?

im 38 weeks, going to be 39 weeks, and i have alot of idk.. real thick mucusy buggery stuff that comes out, after i whipe, and its off white, and theres alot of it then after i have a strong contraction, its been happening since yesterday... idk if its an increase in discharge, or if its my mucus plug

mommy201988

Asked by mommy201988 at 9:28 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• probably just discharge
    you wont knwo when it will break only after it happens .
    some people dont even have it break on its own the drs do it at the hospital while your in labor , that is what happened with both my kids
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• when my water broke it kept coming out but i was only 29 weeks. it might be a contraction call ur doctor and tell him about it , or u could go in to get checked to.
    wildcatsgurl06

Answer by wildcatsgurl06 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Sounds like your body is getting ready....also, you really wont know when your water is about to break...sometimes it gushes, sometimes it leaks. Just depends on the kid inside. He or she is about to be in control. Good luck.
    yesitscynthia

Answer by yesitscynthia at 9:32 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• You won't have a clue when your water is about to break. With my first pregnancy, I had such painful, strong contractions that I went to the hospital. While in the bathroom once I was admitted, I was peeing while my water broke. I thought I was finished, but the pee (or so I thought) just kept coming out. The doctor asked when he came to check me when my water broke, and then I realized that was it. With my second baby, I had just gotten into bed when my water broke. It wasn't a ton of fluid, so I wasn't sure. Then the major contractions kicked in, so I knew it was time to get to the hospital.

Not sure about your mucus plug question. I only noticed it with one of my babies, and I saw it in the toilet. It was days before I went into labor.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My water broke in the freezer section at my local grocery store. I was 37 weeks and 3 days with triplets. Weirdest, yuckiest feeling in the world. I never felt anything odd before, just a surge of warm water. I thought to my self "I really hope I just didn't pee myself".
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I had the same thing after having an exam. If you've had an exam recently that might trigger the discharge. Your water breaking can be tricky. It was for me at least. I had a leak and didnt realize it was my water. I just thought i had to pee alot. I finally called my doctor and she told me to go to the hospital. It was at the hospital that i got the big gush. However, when its your water broken it doesnt look like pee and you cant really control it. Your underwear will be soaking wet! If you experience this, go to the hospital ASAP. Since my water was broken for so long without knowing, the baby and I had fevers once she was delivered from the lack of protection by the amniotic fluid.
    beachbabi0769

Answer by beachbabi0769 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• sounds like a mucus plug to me. you can lose that quite a few days before you go into active labor. just fyi im preg with my 4th. and have 33 nieces and nephews. i was even there for a few of them. if its really a lot its the mucus plug. especially if you have a slight tinge of blood in it. the cramping may be caused by the uterus no longer be supported by the full bladder. call your doc to be sure. good luck
    melanielmcgee

Answer by melanielmcgee at 1:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2009