eyes

First of all, I am going to call his dr. but they dont open until 10.
Yesterday my son was playing outside with his cousin and got a handful of sand in his eye. We washed it out really good and it doesnt seem to be bothering him. It's still kind of red and swollen though. My mom is over dramatic and is pretty sure he's going to lose his eye, I think by tomorrow he'll be fine. What do you think? Would you take him to the dr today or wait?

Chandra034

Asked by Chandra034 at 9:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Health

• my son has injured his eye several times. your main thing to worry about is if the eye gets scratched. if bright lights arent bothering him. hes most likely fine.(if it does hell need an eyepatch to protect it from light while hes out and about) if its not scratched the eye itself wont get infected but the tear duct might. if hes old enough for you talk to him then you can try to get him to cry a bit and try to wash out what might be left. if hes not maybe you can tickle him till he cries. eyes heal super fast. he should be fine in about 2 to 3 days if he doesnt show improvement get him do a dr. theyll have antibiotics to put in his eye and that will be about the extent of it.
    melanielmcgee

Answer by melanielmcgee at 1:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• i'd ask the doctor or nurse, put some eyedrops in there.... there is a chance it could be infected though b/c of cat pee & stuff in the sand, they love sand
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Take him to the ER or urgent care clinic, he could have scratched his cornea and that can cause blindness and infections. NEVER mess with an eye injury. My uncle is an eye doctor and lectures me on this all the time. My son got sand in his eye and I waited until the next day to take him to the doctor and got lectured by the pediatrician too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I called his dr. He said unless it gets worse or has green/yellow stuff coming out he doesnt need to be seen.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• thanks girls! like I said, he seems to be fine. I think its bothering me more than it is him, lol.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2009