Hi I am expecting my first child in 9 weeks and I heard that I needed to wash the clothes for my son before he wears them. Do I need to wash all of them or just the first few months?

SLaffoon

Asked by SLaffoon at 9:38 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wash what he'll be wearing .. when he starts getting bigger wash the rest,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Adults can just put a brand new outfit on and not think twice about washing it first, but children's skin is very delicate. They need their clothes washed before they wear them. You never know if they will be allergic to the dyes in the clothes. In a couple years it will probably be okay to not wash new clothes before they wear them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I just washed what my little girl would be wearing the first couple of months. After that it should be fine. I started letting my little girl wear brand new unwashed clothes when she was 3-4 months old and she never got a rash or anything. Just be sure of his level of sensitivity.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:45 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• As a rule, everything should be washed before he wears it whether it's all at once before he's born or as he grows into them. New clothes are full of harsh chemicals that can be hard on a baby's soft skin. I wash mine in cycles. As my daughter grows out of one size I set aside a night to wash everything I have for the next size up.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 9:45 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I don't even wear anything before itswashed...I would wash it all!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Yeah You have NO idea what conditions are like wear any garment is made....machines could not be cleaned, human hands could be unwashed and unsanitary, there could be bugs, rodents, mold, pollution...any number of "nasty" things present at the warehouse (or sweatshop) where the clothes were made....then of course in the packaging and handling to get from that warehouse to the store rack, in the shopping cart, on the unwashed cashier belt, cashiers hands....lol it goes on and on. Always wash every article of clothing before you, your child or anyone wears them!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2009