Giving whole milk to a 6 month old?

I was talking to my mom the other day about how formula was so expensive (I physically cannot breastfeed), and she said that she started giving me and my sisters whole cow's milk in a bottle instead of formula when we were all 6 months old. My daughter is getting ready to be 6 months old, and she told me that maybe I should think about it. I've always heard that you're supposed to wait until the child is 1 yr old, but why is that? Allergies? My sisters and I have no allergies or intolerances. Has anyone started giving their baby cow milk before one year? How did it turn out? Feel free to post anon, because I KNOW there will be bashers and trolls.

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 9:42 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Studies claim that a baby's tummy can't handle it yet. However, when you do come across a study that isn't done by someone who is owned by someone who owns a formula company you get different results. Those studies state that some babies are ready at 6 months but to watch for signs of problems (like blood in the diaper, excessive fussiness, etc). I personally started my oldest on tastes of milk at 6 months and had him completely switched over to it from breastmilk and formula at 8 months. He is perfectly fine except for asthma (which he got from daddy) and a peanut butter allergy. My husband actually was put on unpasturized milk at just a few weeks old. You just have to make sure the baby is getting his or her nutrients from other sources (like my MIL started mashed potatoes at 2 weeks).

purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• No do NOT give cow milk till a year old! Your baby needs the nutrients from the formula for a year! Ask your Pedi they will tell you the same thing! Try some government assistance if you need help. Around here we have WIC it provides formula for babies.
    Please don't do that to your baby....No bashing Just the facts
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 9:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My fiance's mom gave her kids 2% at 6 months. They don't really have and problems from that but I wouldn't do it. I think she is an idiot, not just because the milk but other stuff that she tries with my baby.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Well six months is early but talk with your doctor if you HAVE to. There are reasons such as cows milk does not have all the nutrients needed for the babies first year but if you work with your doctor they may be able give you vitamins and perhaps tell you what other foods that are high in protiens that you can feed your baby. Personally tho I think that if you can keep your baby on formula for another few months that would be best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I do have WIC, but they don't believe me how much my little girl drinks so I go 10 days at the end of every month without any formula. And even just 10 days of formula is expensive.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• http://www.ask.com/bar?q=why+keep+baby+on+formula+till+1+year+of+age%3F&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.helium.com%2Fitems%2F802516-the-appropriate-time-to-quit-baby-formula-six-months-or-one-year

This is just one of the many articles on it
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 9:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• As babies get older cereal, fruits, veggies, and other solids are gradually introduced. Even as these other foods become part of the daily menu, formula fed babies should still be given an infant formula until they hit the one year mark. Nutritional requirements aside, cow milk is not appropriate for babies for various reasons. For one, it is too high in sodium. Cow milk given prior to one year of age creates too much work for an infant's kidneys. It may also lead to milk allergies and bleeding in the intestinal tract.

heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 9:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• being a pediatric nurse myself.. i would highly frown on giving cows milk that early not just due to allergy reasons but due to the fact that their bodies cant break down that much protein yet. and being almost 6 months old you can supplement solids with as well. also with my baby 1 12oz can last 2-3 days at 5-6oz bottles i go through bout 11 cans a month and a little less now that shes eating solids.
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 10:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• also if nothing else buy one BIG can of formula for only 25 bucks and use that when you run out and only use from that big can when you run out on the ones from wic
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 10:03 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Buy generic if u have to...babies r us has their own brand for 12 bucks...but please give your baby the nutrition she deserves.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:08 AM on Jun. 17, 2009