I feel bad having to wake him up...

I just had my first and i feel bad waking him up durring the night to eat every 3 hours. hes 13 days old and he will sleep through the night if i let him. Should i just feed him more before he goes to bed and right when he wakes up or should i keep waking him up? Im so confused...

Shelii

Asked by Shelii at 9:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was a preemie at 36 weeks and they told me to wake her up every 4 hours to make sure she eats too. after the first couple weeks the dr told me I didn't have to anymore because she was gaining weight adequately.If your son is gaining then I would let him sleep, but you may want to double check with your dr.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 10:56 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• by the way he is a preme i had him at 34 wks if that makes a difference
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My baby started sleeping thruogh when he was 3 days. I never woke him up and he is fine now. I had him a little early, 36 weeks, but I don't thing that is a big deal. (of course I could be wrong) Our pediatrician said that if he isn't getting up then just leave him alone and enjoy your sleep.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• i would just make sure you feed him before he falls asleep, when he wakes up and make sure he eats enough during the day!
    i was born at 32 weeks and they told my mom to wake me every 3 hours to feed me, she said i wouldn't even wake up half the time.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• are you serious? I want your child! And you can have my 13 month who still gets up two or three times a night! I would let him sleep and thank whatever diety or sun or moon you believe in.

(and on a serious note my cousin had two of these babies and she let them sleep thro the night from day one and both of them developed fine and the one that is two months younger then my son is much more advanced then my son who still gets up and until he was 8 months got up to eat two to three times a night)
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 9:55 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I think is he isn't waking up he must be ok I wouldn't wake him I would check on him but not wake him....JMO:)
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 9:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Feed him more at night then lay him down for the night I go by the saying of "NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING BABY" If your babys sleeping through the night why wake him he's fine leave him be.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I never woke by babies to feed them. Let him sleep and when he is hungry he will eat. We are told we must do that but do what is best for your baby.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• If he's gaining weight don't wake him.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I've never had a preemie, so I can't give you any advice there. But if your baby was full-term, here's what I would tell you:

Babies are humans. They wake when they are hungry. I NEVER woke my children to feed them. My goodness, let them AND YOURSELF get some rest!
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 17, 2009