My husband thinks it's funny to hear our 2 year old say a "potty" word!! What would you do?

My husband is in no way a bad man. He works hard, loves our boys, and is a very supportive partner. Having said that, he has one fault I'mtrying to rid him of. He thinks it's funny to have our 2 year old say the "s" word. I have even on occasion heard him coaxing Caden to say it. It makes me angry because I'm the one who has to take Caden out to the Grocery store with me, and on other daily errands where your son shout out S*&T is embarrassing. The worst time? In his Sunday school class.

What should I do. I can't punish the baby because he's doing what daddy taught him, but I can't get my hubby to realize that its not funny anymore. Caden will be 3 in October, and enough is enough!! Does anyone have some advice that will keep my husband and I out of a fight, but still get me what I want??

mandy0510

Asked by mandy0510 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree with Rebecca. At first, when I read the title, I was going to say you should cut him some slack. I know I have laughed before when one of my kids said a dirty word, simply b/c it was such a shock to hear such a dirty word come out of such a sweet little face and voice, you know? But what he's doing is wrong. And while you're telling Daddy that coaxing him to use that word is wrong, tell your son that saying it is wrong, every time he says it. Also, don't make a big deal about it. If you react in a big way, he'll want to keep doing it to get the reaction. If you just calmly and casually say, "We don't use that word. Don't say that." and then go on with whatever you were doing, it will probably be more effective.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Just remind him that when other people hear your son, they don't think it is cute...they think it is direct reflection of the parent, and if that is what he wants others to think of him as a father???

Sorry and good luck.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:57 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I know what you are saying. The first time I heard Caden say a dirty word, i laughed too, b/c your right it is a shock. My husband doesn't want to look like a bad daddy, i really don't think that thought ever crossed his mind. maybe i should bring that up to him. it could make him look at it a different way.
    mandy0510

Answer by mandy0510 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Does your dh pick him up from Sunday School? If he does it at Sunday School, you can have the teacher say something to your dh about the boy's language. I teach the two year olds, and if I hear that come out of a child's mouth, I speak to the parents. I would let them know that I can't have him teaching the other children that word, and they would need to work with him at home. Perhaps if someone else embarrasses your husband, he'll figure it out. I would be frustrated!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:01 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Remind him that while it is funny now, your LO cannot distinguish where and when that is ok. He will eventually get into trouble in school for such language. It is NOT funny! My DH did this for a bit too. Finally he realized that what he thought was funny at home, became an issue in public. He was brought up with the "do as I say not as I do" style of parenting. That does not work. Kids learn what they live! Tell him eventually this will cause trouble for your LO as he will not get that what Dad thinks is funny at home will land him in the principals office at school.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• This is a hard one to answer, because my husband and i both think it's pretty funny when our little one say that word. It's hard not to laugh, but we don't encourage it. We always tell her not to say it, but I worry that all she sees is us giggling, or when we are stiffling our laughter, our smiles, and that makes it something appealing to say, you know? I have no advice, just wanted you to know you aren't alone. You know, funny thing is that S&^% isn't a common word in this house. She also like to trick people and call them *suckuh*, which neither of us say (and i am a stay at home mom). So yeah, the encouraging of the DH to say the bad word is bad, but it's likely a phase.
    lilismamadez

Answer by lilismamadez at 1:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2009