my ultrasound results said that my baby is a little small..does this mean he's going to be a preemie?

Bethanee182

Asked by Bethanee182 at 9:57 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • No. He'll only be a preemie if he's born early, not because he's small.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 9:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• no those are only estimates
    measurements . if i went by what my ultra sound said then my daughter would had been 12 lbs but she was only 8 lbs 6 oz
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• no. They do measurments to try to estimate the weight and height of the baby to see if youll be able to deliver vaginaly with out a problem of him getting stuck. i was told that the measurments were off a little bit with my son and was suposed to go get another ultrasound done but i had to have an emergency c-section at 34 wks because i had a placental abruption(spelling is bad sorry) But its nothing to stress about. If they think something is wrong they would let you know and have you do another ultrasound to check the measutments agian.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:08 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My daughter was growing in the 10th percent tile when i was pregnant with her and she came out at 5lbs and 7oz. yeah she was a little small but not a preemie. but she only had two vessels in her umbilical cord. hope this helps
    nicole103124

Answer by nicole103124 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• they just might be off with when u got pregnant because my doc. told me that my last ultra soud siad my baby was a little on the big side but she also sid i could have gottn pregnant before my period she also siad that alot of times they really cant tell when u got pregnant thay just go by what they can
    honeyb690

Answer by honeyb690 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Ultra sound is just a rough estimate when it comes to the size of your un-born baby. With my 5th child my doctor estimated that our son was going to be in the high 7lbs to 8lbs and when he was born he was 6lbs.. we were in shock.. the doctor had made the decision to induce early because his brother had been 9lbs 4oz's ..yeah he was a big baby.. so to this day I think she was a little off on her dates and pounds lol.. but he is healthy and great today and will be 9 years old in September!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 10:44 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• A preemie is a baby born before 37 weeks. It doesn't mean if your baby is small. Your baby still has time to gain weight also if your not that far along. Starting at about 31 weeks, your baby will gain about 1/2 a pound a week.
    fallin4aSOLDIER

Answer by fallin4aSOLDIER at 11:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• no, my son only weighed 4 lbs and 4oz at birth, he wasn't preemie, he was just really tiny.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• no. my baby was small, they induced me 3 weeks early incase the umbilical cord stopped giving her nutrients. my daughter was 5 pounds and 10 ounces. when i was at 5 months, my daughter was only 1/2 a pound. i had to go back for ultrasounds every week though..
    MiCHELLEx

Answer by MiCHELLEx at 3:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2009