Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this true about child support

that if you dont give the child the fathers name he doesn't have to pay it. What if he signs his rights away after the child is over a year old? What if the mother doesn't want money from the father, that she doesn't want him in the childs life?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • I believe the only way the father wouldn't have to pay is signing his rights away and even if you don't want to except money from him they will still make him pay.

    Answer by NicholeAT at 10:06 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • Look up the child support laws in your state all states are different.

    Answer by raemommy at 10:08 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • I have never tried these websites, but I have heard they can give you a lot of info - (thats "a v v o", not "a w o") , and

    Good luck :)

    Answer by Kiiimmm at 10:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • It depends on the state you live in. In TX even if a father signs his rights away he has to pay CS, unless the child is adopted.

    Answer by LolosMom at 10:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • It depends on your state. I know a guy who knocked up his girlfriend in Florida. He joined the Navy, gave her most of his paychecks, eventually married her and had three more kids with her. He never sent her the money via whatever route the state of Florida wanted, so he still to this day gets letters saying he owes her X amount of money in child support. She even called the number on the letters and said - "we are married and he paid for our house and our cars, is that good enough?" and they still want him to send in the money. It's completely stupid. They don't live in Florida and if they ever move there, he may have to actually take care of it.

    Answer by Christina807 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • The state only gets involved if the child is put on medicaid.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • Anon :02 thats not true, the state gets involved for multiple reasons, the child being put on assistance is one, but the parent can open a case with the state reguardless of medicaid....

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • yes... the parent can open a case but if they dont, then the state will get involved when there is medicaid. And even then, you can opt out. i was on medicaid and wic and never seeked cs bc he was paying me regularly w/o an order. i now receive it through the courts bc i filed for it when i found out how much he makes. BUT... every state is different so I can only speak for Illinois.

    Answer by Landensmama6285 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • I work for DSS if the childs doent have the fathers last name then you have to get a blood test done to colect child support and the state or court will do that when you go to court for it, if the father signs the rights away then the father dont have to pay child support and is not aloud to see the child unless the mother says its alright

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.