Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another CS question, can a father sign away his rights when his child is 17?

And not have to pay CS anymore? I know all states are different, but has anyone heard of this?


Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • He's 17. More than likely he hates everyone right now. If he's spent his life listening to his mother tell him degrading things about his father then, as a child (even at 17), it's just natural for him to trust her judgement. It's his mother. As he grows older he will start to make up his own mind and things may change. Being a teenager is tough and they always tend to think with their mouth which gets them into trouble. He'll grow up but regardless of how he feels toward his father right now, this is no time for his father to abandon him. I know this isn't the question you asked and I generally like to keep my answers specific to the question at hand but I think the reasoning here is a bit flawed based on the information you provided.

    Answer by sillyt at 11:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • i know in cali you can, they wouldnt have to CS because its not their kid anymore.

    Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • Probably but what's the point in that at 17?


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • The point in being 17 is that its not like he's signing away his rights to a newborn that he doesn't want, its a child he's supported all these years....but this child has refused to be a part of his life for a long time now and HATES him and tells him so no matter what. Severe case of PAS. The father has been through HELL from the bitter and mean and money hungry ex-wife. He's been treated like GARBAGE all while doing whatever he could for years and years to have a good relationship with his son and responsibily paying CS and braces and extra curriculars and medical insurance and car insurance, etc. etc. etc.

    Just curios if anyone has done this after having a relationship with a child.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • Well in the case I would not sign over my rights. After all those years of trying to do right, why give up now? Sad. Parents aren't supposed to give up.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • I highly doubt someone can just sign their parental rights away. My son's father wanted to do that and the judge denied it. That was after the father wasn't around for about 2 years and asked to have his parental rights terminated. Tell him NOT to give up his parental rights, he may come to regret it later. Just pay the child support for the child he helped create and hope his son comes around as an adult. Sometimes that happens, the child realizes that he was wrong and the father did what he could and it was mom that made it more difficult.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • I think both parents have to sign for this. If a parent could just sign away his/her rights...I'm sure there would be a ton more of dead beat parents out there. Sad, but, true. I personally can completely relate to the PAS issues..and, all that goes with that. But, don't give up on that child. He/she is only don't for the most part know what they want. It's really sad mom did that ...but, he needs to be the "stronger" parent and hang in there for that child. Believe me, the child will hurt worse if Dad gives up on him/her.

     My oldest sd will be 25 this middle 22. They both sort of have a relationship with Dad/us. Sort of is better than none at all.  My youngest ss (18) still lives with, not really a relationship there YET!  I know how hard it can be for you both...hang in there.


    Answer by Loryl at 11:12 AM on Jun. 17, 2009