Biting

My son got bit at daycare yesterday. He only goes Part time 3 days a week for socialization and I talked to his teacher at the Center And she documented it and gave me a form and they handle things very professionally but I am so upset about it - I know kids will be kids but not with my baby.....I have an email into the Center's Director to see what the policies are because I don't want him getting bit again. Any one have experience with this? Am I under-reacting? Over reacting? The bite didn't break skin but you can see teeth marks and the whole area is bruised so it was clearly a hard bite and makes me very sad. I don't want responses that bash me for putting him in daycare -Some families don't have a choice when both parents need to work!

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is in a private home daycare. We also dealt with biting.He was bit by other kids and he also bit others kids too.Yes it can be very upsetting but from my experience it was a short lived phase.The only thing they were able to do at daycare was shadow the child more to stop the biting before it happened.Luckily this seemed to work pretty well. I dont think you are over reacting nobody wants their child being hurt. If biting is something this child has been doing then he needs to be watched more closely.
    jrsmommy731

Answer by jrsmommy731 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• IMO I rather not use the daycare system due to exactly these kind of problems. I have a friend whos 18 m/o son is in daycare and the other day he was sitting on a teeter totter and a big kid came up and jumped on the high side and sent the LO flying off and he got a huge ugly road rash across his forhead (he landed on concrete). They wrote it up, let the big kids mom know, and told her it cannot happen again. These kinds of things happen all the ime and if you choose to use daycare you just have to accept it and hope they handle things accordingly. Im not saying I am against daycare either, I would probably use it if I had to. Luckily I have my mom watch my daughter. I dont think you are over or under reacting. You are concerned for your child. If I were you I would see to it that if it ever happened again with the same kid then he better be removed from the daycare, or I would be removing my kid.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• my LO got bit by someone just yesterday. Our place calls parents immediately, they do a report and give us a copy. By TX law they cannot disclose which child bit them and if yours is a biter, they cant tell you who your child bit. I feel bad when this happens to Mia but its what kids do. At our center, because its small enough, they have the ages divided in small groups. all the kids are within 6 months of their classmates and if one becomes a problem, they usually ask the parents to intervene. I know one child in my neices class (the school is an approved private kindergarden as well) would hit constantly. They allowed the child a month to ease off the behavior but if they see no improvement they do ask that the child be moved to a different daycare. The centers dont want the bad publicity and there's only so much they can do. Dont worry, it wont last long just stay involved. Teachers appreciate involved parents!!
    MiasMommy21

Answer by MiasMommy21 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Thank you So much. Our Center is the same way. They have the rooms divded by age groups - he is in a class with 7 others kids that are 16 months to 24 months and 2 times a day they mix with the kids from the 24-36 age groups to help all the kids get to know the next teacher they will be with for the next age group, which I liked. The Center's Director told me today that they normally call the parents if the bite or injury breaks skin or is on the face. She assured me they are well trained and this is typical behavior issues for this age group but by no means does that mean they won't be keeping ad eye on it but I just wouldn't know how i'd feel if it were to happen again.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2009