Please please help w/ 8 month old!!!!!!

My son will not sleep through the night no matter what i do. He doesnt have a schedule during the day, but at 730 he takes a bath then i give him a bottle and he goes to sleep right after, but wakes up about 4 times during the night. So needless to say my patience is running thin because I am completely exhausted! I really need your help mommies! What do I do?!?! Should I put him on a schedule? What was your babies schedule like? I dont know how much he should be sleeping during the day or for how long. Please help! Any advice would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son has never been on a schedule, but i wouldnt let him sleep that long during the day or in the afternoon, because then they dont want to go to bed.maybe try putting the baby to sleep a little later?! i'm not sure my son is two now i bearly remember those days lol.. good luck!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Does he eat when he wakes up? Has this always been the case or is this a new pattern? Could it be teething discomfort?

I've noticed that my son wakes up occasionally during the night, but he just falls back to sleep. Do you give him time to settle back down and get back to sleep before you go in there? You might be making matters worse by going in there, getting him up, and exposing him to stimulation (making it harder for him to go back to sleep).

Try giving him 10 minutes to see if he falls back asleep. If he does, you're golden.

Also, are you giving your son baby food, oatmeal, cereal or anything of the like?
    sw33t_blond3

Answer by sw33t_blond3 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I have always had my DD on a schedule I feel that it makes it easier for her and me.
    We start our day at 6:30-7:00am and we have breakfast morning nap at9:00-9:30am till 11:00-11:30am then lunch at noon afternoon nap at 2:00-2:30 till 3:30-4:30 and then up for the rest of the day supper at 5:00 no later then 5:30 then bath by 6:45-7:00 and book and bottle at 7:15-7:30 bed by 7:45-8:00pm. It helps with the way i run the house. Some mommies don't do schedule, i have to.
    Hope that helps you out it really does make thing easier and then your child knows whats coming next and so don't you.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• All parents have different methods, but I did decide to go with a flexible schedule and my 8 month old son basically set it himself by the time he was 6 months old. He wakes up around 7 a.m. and has an 8 oz. bottle. We play with toys and practice crawling until 9 or 9:30. Then he eats fruit and cereal for breakfast. By 10 a.m. he takes his first nap, which typically lasts for 90 minutes. Between 12 and 12:30 he gets a 6 oz. bottle. More play time, especially outside if the weather is nice. At 2:30 he eats some veggies and drinks some water. Then around 3:00 he takes another 90 minute nap. Between 4:30 and 5 p.m. he'll drink another 6 oz. bottle. Then we'll play a a bit, then bath time, then baby massage with lotion and pajamas. Then I try reading him a short story (sometimes he just tries to eat the book though) and at 7:30 he takes an 8 oz. bottle and goes to sleep for the night. He never wakes up in the middle of the night.
    IndieRockMommy

Answer by IndieRockMommy at 11:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Sorry, ran out of room. Anyway, that's my schedule for my son, but like I said, he pretty much chose it himself. I hope the example helps, even though I know your life and schedule is completely different from mine. I never wake mine up from a nap because I've read that if a baby is sleeping it's because they need the rest. Also, a minimum of 10 minutes of sunshine a day helps a baby sleep (they need the vitamin D). Most importantly, from all the books I've read it seems that the most common reason for a baby waking in the night after they've turned 8 months is hunger. Make sure your 8 month old is consuming the equivalent of 32 oz. per day. Also, the more play time on the floor being active will result in a more tuckered out little one who's more likely to sleep through the night. These are the facts from the research I've done, but I'm sure there are other answers, too. Best of luck & I hope you get some rest! :-)
    IndieRockMommy

Answer by IndieRockMommy at 11:07 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Schedule! My baby wouldn't nap and he woke up once a night. Once I got him on a schedule he started to nap and he slept better at night (about 10-12 hours) Don't let you baby sleep too late close to bed time, but a well rested baby is a much better sleeper.
    nadris29

Answer by nadris29 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My son is 10 months old and I have never had a problem with him sleeping through the night. I believe in schedules and my son has been sleeping through the night since he was two months. On a normal day my son will take two naps(except for lately he has switch himself to one long one) one in the morning around 10am for at least two hours. He takes another one in the afternoon for about an hour. My rule is I never let him take a nap past 4:30-5pm. Occasionally he will wake up due to teething pain or something else. I usually let him cry for a few minutes and if he doesn't go back to sleep I"ll give him a pacifier or bottle. I try not to pick him up or turn on any lights when I go in there. also you should try to get him to eat a big dinner so he doesn't need a snack in the middle of the night. Good luck and I hope you get some sleep soon!

mylil1

Answer by mylil1 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• i find it is way easer for me to have my lil one sleep with me,i think mabe babies wake up cuz they get scard,do u have a night light,
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:56 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• my daughter is 8 months old and has 2 one hour naps during the day. if she sleeps more than that then she dont want to go to bed til between 10-11pm. At night time after she falls asleep most of the time she wont wake back up til 5am. Then again at 7am. she has her 1st nap before 11am then her 2nd one between 3 and 5pm. Then she will start getting sleepy arond 8 or 9pm. She is a co-sleeper so that helps her sleep longer. goodluck. message me if u have any questions.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2009