• In the Spotlight:

When changing doctors.. what are some key things to look for in the new one??

I currently go to a clinic but my insurance (cigna) makes it possible to get a private doctor.. Which is exactly what I would like to do... but I'm having a tough time choosing.

DesignDiva21

Asked by DesignDiva21 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have found that the best way to find a good doctor is by word of mouth - do you have friends/family you can talk to about their doctor to see if any of them would recommend their doctor to you? I was lucky that one of my friends had just had a baby when I was looking for a doctor and she really loved him so I took her recommendation and ended up really liking him too...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The answer really depends on what is important to you. If you really want a natural birth, or if you have complications, or something along those lines. I would make a list of all the important things to you, from the things you are dead set against, to the things you can budge on if necessary, and rate them in order of priority. Ask alot of questions when looking for a new one, and get statistics from them too, especially if you want to avoid a c-section. It helps too to have one you can talk with and who will compromise with you, as you wont find one you agree with on everything.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Definitely talk to friends and family and see if you can get a good referral from someone. The one thing that makes a great first impression on me from a new doctor is eye contact. If they are too busy staring at a computer screen to make good strong eye contact with me so I know I have their undivided attention I won't go back. Make sure you know what you want from this pregnancy and delivery and discuss it on your first visit so there aren't any surprises down the road.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 10:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2009