Obama offers benefits to homosexual partners of federal employees..

..but he isn't going to give benefits to legally married homosexual couples, because they are not in a 'traditional heterosexual marriage' and as such are not entitled to the same federal benefits?!

What do you think about this?

Obama and his administration filed a motion to dismiss the case against DOMA, and in the brief it states the following:

(Continued in first comment)

_Jynxx_

Asked by _Jynxx_ at 10:24 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "Likewise, Section 3 of DOMA merely clarifies that federal policy is to make certain benefits available only to those persons united in heterosexual marriage, as opposed to any other possible relationship defined by law, family, or affection. As a result, gay and lesbian individuals who unite in matrimony are denied no federal benefits to which they were entitled prior to their marriage; they remain eligible for every benefit they enjoyed beforehand. DOMA simply provides, in effect, that as a result of their same-sex marriage they will not become eligible for the set of benefits that Congress has reserved exclusively to those who are related by the bonds of heterosexual marriage. ... CONT:
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:24 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• CONT: in short, then, the failure in this manner to recognize a certain subset of marriages that are recognized by a certain subset of States cannot be taken as an infringement on plaintiffs' rights, even if same-sex marriage were accepted as a fundamental right under the Constitution"

SO.. Their domestic partners can get benefits.. SO long as they are a federal employee.

But a LEGALLY MARRIED couple is not going to get the same benefits as another couple, simply because they are homosexual? Personally, I think that married is married. Once you are LEGALLY MARRIED you should be entitled to the same benefits. In trying not to 'step on anyone's toes', Obama is just going to piss EVERYONE off.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:26 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I think it's a big backwards.

I think legally married folks should get benefits first. I wonder if any couples will get divorced now.

I dunno, makes no sense to me really.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 10:27 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I heard on ABC/GMA this morning this topic..They will not receive medical benefits.

Answer by louise2 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• "I think legally married folks should get benefits first. I wonder if any couples will get divorced now. "

Oh, I doubt it. If they are legally married, and one person is a federal employee, then the other would still be able to get the benefits. He/she would still be a partner.

The problem is for all of those who are NOT federal employees.

It's just downright silly.

How the heck can he justify not giving them the same benefits?! Because they aren't a HETEROSEXUAL legally married couple? That's one of the worst cop-outs I have ever heard. The operative term there is not 'heterosexual', but 'legally married'.

Honestly.. Once you are -legally married-, you should be getting those benefits that are available to a legally married individual. It's rediculoud.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:34 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Don't they get the same benefits of ALL married people? Why would they get special benefits designed for those unmarried if they ARE married? They aren't getting any more less, if they could get married people benefits AND unmarried people benefits, wouldn't that be double benefits?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I'm glad that domestic-partner benefits are being offered to them, don't get me wrong. But then they need to offer MARRIAGE benefits as well.

"I heard on ABC/GMA this morning this topic..They will not receive medical benefits."

What, exactly, did they say? Because if domestic partner benefits are being extended to include homosexual couples, then that would also come along with MEDICAL benefits.

This shows what is included in domestic partnership benefits. They just weren't available to federal employees, as I understand it. It was left up to the state. Funny that they are now making it federal, and not just up to state, but they aren't doing that for gay marriage or gay marriage benefits.

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/objectId/86D4108D-25D1-498A-B38AF4AB25F14E84/118/304/190/ART/

www.mlgba.org/upload/files/MarriageRights.pdf
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:42 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• "Don't they get the same benefits of ALL married people? Why would they get special benefits designed for those unmarried if they ARE married? They aren't getting any more less, if they could get married people benefits AND unmarried people benefits, wouldn't that be double benefits?"

Apparently, gay married couples do NOT get the same benefits as straight married couples. The domestic partnership benefits were designed for unmarried couples, living together as if married. DF and I would qualify, I think, in FL. The first two comments here are copied from OBAMA'S motion to dismiss the case against DOMA. He and his administration try to rationalize & justify not giving gay married couples federal marriage benefits, because they are not 'entitled to them' because they aren't heterosexual. Even though they are LEGALLY MARRIED. Stupid, isn't it?
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• i feel that gay or straight couples should be able to marry and receive the benefits from the spouse. I have a BIL who has been in a monogamous gay relationship for 25 years. I think it is a shame that he does not have the same protection upon the death of his spouse as I do. I do not feel that allowing SSm has any effect on my 30 year marriage.

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• People don't even seem to realize that Prop 2 (in FL), Prop 8, and all other similar things doesn't just affect same sex couples.

They effect ANY non-married couples.

The same would go for DF and I. We're in a committed relationship, with a baby on the way. But if I was hospitalized, he could be denied the right to visit me. If I die, he has to pay taxes on anything I leave him. Etc etc.

I don't think people entirely understood these propositions when they voted for them. :\
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 11:04 AM on Jun. 17, 2009