When to stop swaddling

I'm trying to determine if I should stop swaddling my daughter or not. She is going to be 4 months on July 5 and I'm not sure if I should introduce a sleep sack or not. Also having issues with after her middle of the night feeding whether how to keep her asleep.

klborrelli

Asked by klborrelli at 10:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She should not need a middle of the night feeding IMO. By 4-5 months (unless she was a preemie) it is more of a habit than hunger thing. Start giving her water instead and she will soon decide sleep is more important.
    You can swaddle your baby as long as they like it. By 4-5 months they are getting more active and will usually fight being swaddled. If she fusses or gets downright mad at being so restrained it's time to stop. It's pretty much up to baby.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I agree with PP. Let her decide when she's done being swaddled. She'll make sure you know when she doesn't want those arms restrained anymore. Then you can introduce the sleep sack.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 10:42 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Every kid is different, some still need a middle of the night feeding at that age, especially if you are breastfeeding. I stopped swaddeling abut 3 months, but they started fighting me about that time too, so if she is still ool with it, go ahead and keep doing it.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:44 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Do you think the next logical move is the sleep sack or something else. I tried the sleep sack 2 weeks ago and I was up every 2 hours with her. Between her legs going up and down her arms were slapping her in the face. Now I have the arms not slapping her but the legs rising up and down. Any suggestions
    klborrelli

Answer by klborrelli at 10:45 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Ideally as she gets older she will sleep deeper and won't have the random movements that wake her up in the middle of the night. For now I'd just stick with the swaddle and later on down the road try the sleep sack or just a regular sleeper.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 10:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• She should not physically NEED to eat during the night at this age...although I know LOTS of moms who feed at night out of habit.

As far as swaddling goes, some babies just LOVE it while others hate it. Our first two hated it. Our third was swaddled until she was 5 months old, at which point we simply could not manage to swaddle her anymore because she was just TOO BIG! Lol.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I disagree with the feeding. A baby that age should still be waking once at night to feed especially if she is breastfed. Breastfeeding at night keeps up your supply due to the hormones released only then. BM also contains more fat during night sessions.

As long as she stays swaddled all night I'd leave her. If she can unwrap herself and roll around then I think it's dangerous. When I brought DD home from the hospital should could unwrap herself and once I found the blnaket on her face. Not safe at all.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• ask your ped about the nite feeding and if your child needs the calories then or if it is just a habit that needs to stop.. As far as swaddeling a child that age i think it inhibits muscle developement because they cannot move around. THAT is exactly why her arms flail all over, she is not learning to control them as they are pinned down. The sleep sack is ok but why not just get a reg sleeper,? more comfy and freedom of movement.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:32 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• We stopped with our's when they got too big for the swaddlers... We now put them in just sleepers to keep them warm... I think it was around 4 months that we quit, but it was more of them giving us clues that they were done. If you have a problem laying her down and her waking up, lay her down very slowly! I have to do this with DD. Slowly ease my hand out from under her back and butt. DS will put himself to sleep. So it all just depends on your baby!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 11:35 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I only used the sleep sack a few times with DS & not at all with either DD. They went right to sleepers & were quite content in them. My DS refused to be swaddled in the hospital (it actually became something of a contest with the nurses--seeing if any of them could keep him swaddled--they couldn't) so it really depends on the baby. My youngest DD is 5 & still loves to be tucked in tight & wrapped up in her blankets.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 17, 2009