Budget Problems?

Which one to sacrifice to keep the budget balanced?

My dh just told me that he is going to cut me off $100 from my groceries budget. I said to him that he is not to do that and that I would prefer for him to cut off his Time Warner budget of $150.00 monthly.

Is he being selfish?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh ok.. thanks.. ya I'm a little slow this morning lol.. but that is not a hard one then.. the budget cut should be Time Warner.. good luck hun..or have him cut it back to the bare essentials.. so that no cuts have to be made.. I'm sure he can get his cable down to $50 if he cuts out all the extra's in a sense isn't that what he is asking you to do by trying to cut the grocery budget?!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 11:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• time warner for sure needs to be the cut back not the food
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 10:34 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• he is being selfish if you ask me...
    DesignDiva21

Answer by DesignDiva21 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Sorry what is time warner??? but ya if it is not a necessity then it needs to be cut, not groceries!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 10:37 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Mommy2seven Time Warner is a cable service. We don't need it buy my dh watches some series from a British Channel and some from sports channels. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Food for nourishment vs. Internet/Cable for entertainment. Yeah, I'd say he's being selfish. Get your hands dirty hun and be a stronger part of your budget/bill paying. If you don't he's going to squeeze your needs and from the sounds of it your family's needs out as much as he can get away with. Don't let him.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 10:40 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• HUH? I'd make sure that to let him know he'll have to get another job so he can eat then because thats his food money he is cutting off. I'd go as far as not cooking for him. He will get the message.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• If you all watch tv..I say cut back the cable bill..You might be able to cut back on your house phone to, if you have one. And your electric bill too..You know turn of light when not needed,,buy energy efficient light bulbs.

But if he is bull headed and want to cut back on the food bill.. When you go out to buy food..Stop buying his stuff he likes..If he drinks Pepsi or eats chips etc....

Answer by louise2 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Honestly, can you negotiate? Don't cut either one completely, but trim both? CAN you make cuts to your grocery budget? If so, then maybe negotiate a lesser cable service (basic or basic plus a few extras), and then groceries can be trimmed of extras for a while, or find ways of saving. I'm not a big believer in hard-core stances when both parties can be reasonable and negotiate a middle ground that meets everyone's needs.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Give him a list of what you will be serving with your new budget. Make sure it's rice and beans. No meat. Ask him if his precious cable is worth that.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:59 AM on Jun. 17, 2009