Advice please.

Yesterday we were gone most of the day. Hanging out with my mom, my cousin and her kids. Well it was time to get the kiddies ready to go home. Had no problems with my 7 and 4 year old but I did with my 20 month old. She did not want to leave and starting throwing a fit and when I picked her up she smacked me with both hands in my face and pulled my hair. My boys never did this to me and I was shocked. I just put her hands down and told her no and that is was not nice. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? If it hasn't happened to you, what would you do? Thanks.

Christine0813

Asked by Christine0813 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think what you did was the best thing to do ... given her age. I have had that happen to me on occasion but usually I will pick them up from behind so they are not facing me and then once I know that they are not going to hit me I'll turn them around and give them encourage-ment. Maybe she was over tired and having tooo much fun! Just watch her next time and be prepared for that reaction so you can stop it before she can actually hit you and she will see that your not going to tollerate it and the behavior will more then likely stop or she might try something else.. hope that was helpfull.
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 10:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Sounds like she was either overtired or over stimulated. It also sounds like this insnt an ongoing problem, but what you did was propably the best thing. Just be consistant if it keeps happening. Its amazing what calm firmness, the word no, and consistancy can do after time. I would just NOT reccomend hitting back, even a smack on the hand, Iv seen this done and have not seen good results. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• my 16 month old does this from time to time. You did good, i do just that as well... I tell her no, i give her something that i know she finds comfort in (they do it mostly because they are tired) and leave the area. Dont make good byes long, its made things worse for us. Say farewells quickly and get her into the car, the ride or the distraction will calm her down....try it!
    MiasMommy21

Answer by MiasMommy21 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2009