Do you want THESE people in charge of YOUR healthcare?

An investigation by the House Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations showed that health insurers WellPoint Inc., UnitedHealth Group and Assurant Inc. canceled the coverage of more than 20,000 people, allowing the companies to avoid paying more than $300 million in medical claims over a five-year period.

It also found that policyholders with breast cancer, lymphoma and more than 1,000 other conditions were targeted for rescission and that employees were praised in performance reviews for terminating the policies of customers with expensive illnesses.

"No one can defend, and I certainly cannot defend, the practice of canceling coverage after the fact," said Rep. Michael C. Burgess (R-Tex.), a member of the committee. "There is no acceptable minimum to denying coverage after the fact."

Being afraid of the government running it doesn't make sense when these psycho's are running it now!

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:43 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Executives of three of the nation's largest health insurers told federal lawmakers in Washington on Tuesday that they would continue canceling medical coverage for some sick policyholders, despite withering criticism from Republican and Democratic members of Congress who decried the practice as unfair and abusive.

The hearing on the controversial action known as rescission, which has left thousands of Americans burdened with costly medical bills despite paying insurance premiums, began a day after President Obama outlined his proposals for revamping the nation's healthcare system.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:43 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• That is so sick and wrong.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I agree and it happens all the time.
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Do you have a link for this. (not because I don't believe you but cause I really want to read the article)
    I have used 2 of those , one for medical and one for prescriptions so I am glad we are not anymore. This is where we need regulations. It's just one of the things that can be done to fix our system. Throwing away our whole system for something worse is not an option in my book.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• There definately needs to be restrictions about dropping people that are sick...THATS WHAT INSURANCE IS FOR!!!
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• FTR, I believe that government doesn't run any program efficiently, it stands to reason I wouldn't want them taking over health care as well. JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Oh, and to add, I would never argue that there doesn't need to be health care reform in some way, but I just don't want government to take it over. Again, JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I agree Quinnmae. If they think that is bad wait until the gov does it. We cannot afford to have the gov run healthcare. If that passes the economy will collapse. Most economists say this as well.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:01 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I don't see how it would be fiscally possible. We are already so deep in the hole with no end in sight, to add some of these proposals would just finish us off.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:04 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I  know this is true.

I need gastric bypass surgery.

I have had several insurance companies tell me I am not obese. (Aetna, and Evergreen Health Care told me obesity does not exist.)

Our govt is up in arms about the obesity epidemic and making laws to cut back on trans fats in restaurants, while  insurance companies saying obesity is non existent

It is a conspiracy to kill Americans off and let our countries enemies take over our country.

(next time any one of you  want to be critical of someone obese, remember it does not exist, so criticize your self)

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 17, 2009