friends want to "bring dinner"

Ok, so I'm new to the south and we just had a baby...a lot of new friends have expressed that they want to "bring us dinner"...this might be totally stupid but does this mean that they want to bring dinner over to eat with us?? Or do they just want to stop over and give us something to put in the freezer or to eat later?? help! I just don't know if I should have the table set for when they come or what! I'm new to this "southern hospitality"!! :)

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well im not from the south lol , but my bf's mom brought us dinner after i had the baby , and thats all she did , brought it and we ate later. she only wanted to see the baby and said eat it whenever we feel up to reheating. i mean u can offer to have them stay to eat some , i do that everytime someone comes over while im cooking , or someone brings us over something they made
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 10:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would think they want to bring dinner so that you don't have to cook seeing that you just had a baby and all! Plus its a way to get a peek at the new little blessing :)
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 10:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I'm not from the south either, but it sounds like they are trying to be helpful because they know you just had a baby and are probably busy and tired, so they're wanting to help by making sure you have a meal already made....but I agree with the previous poster, maybe when they come over you can offer to have them stay and eat.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 10:59 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• When I had my kids and friends called and said this they were saying, we want to come see you and the baby and visit, but we don't want you to lift a finger, we'll take care of it. Its nice. My kids are 4 & 2, I wish someone would do this for me now! LOL. Enjoy and congrats on the new baby.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Well, first of all, I think it's sad that you never experience hospitality prior to moving to the south. Lol.

In the midwest, this just means that they don't want you to have to cook and would love to bless you with a home-cooked meal so you can rest and relax. :)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 11:09 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Most people will bring you things that can be frozen and eaten later. Be grateful, I would have loved for someone to do that for me.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:09 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Just ask your friends on the phone prior to the day if they are planning to stay for dinner...that would be easiest I think.Then say"I wasnt sure when you said you were bringing dinner if you wanted us all to enjoy an evening together or if it was for us to eat when we needed an easy dinner nite"
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:23 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Oh I have offered many times to bring dinner and in no way shape or form plan on staying to eat. It really is just a Southern hospitality, to give you more time to recover and enjoy that precious baby and not spend tons to go get something or have to worry about fixing something! You can offer for them to eat with you, but they will most likely decline. One of my friends brought us dinner with the ulterior motive of getting to love all over our babies! lol My mom brought dinner for the same reason, so be prepared to hand over the little one possibly!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 11:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would be surprised if they plan to stay. I very often bring dinner to a friend's house that just had a baby, but never stay. Drop it off whenever and then they can freeze it or reheat whenever. Take advantage of it!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I'm not Southern, but whenever someone in my church has a baby people that go there sign up to bring food for 2 weeks. (as long as the parents want it, but who wouldn't?) so for 2 weeks someone stopped by every night and dropped off dinner to be eaten that night. No one stayed except for some of our closest friends who asked ahead of time.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 17, 2009