Serious question for Single moms/moms who don't judge

If you were a single mom with absolutely NO HELP would you let your almost 14 y/o babysit his 6 y/o sibling so that you could work weekends? It would be for about 6 hours Sat and Sun twice a month.

I really need to work more hours but I have no family and their dad is not in the picture at all. Daycare/babysitters in my area are extremely (sp?) expensive... $15/hour +.Plus as soon as they find out I have a teen they stop responding. I also don't have any close friends.The only people I trust work too so I can't ask them to help. There is absolutely no one to help but I have to work extra hours. My oldest is very responsible and mature. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• If my 14 year old knew what to do in case of an emergency and could make simple meals then yes I would. I was babysitting at 11, including infants. A 14 year old should be plenty capable of watching a 6 year old. Just make sure the 14 yr old has a number to get a hold of you for any emergency and that you call and check on them a couple times a day. You have to do what is necessary to support your family. Also, most centers will not take a 14 year old anyway.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would weigh it very carefully, but yes, I would consider it. It would be helpful if you had a neighbor that the child could go to if there's an emergency. Someone who could pop in or something. But I can see you're in a bind, so I would say perhaps.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Just make sure the 14 yr old knows exactly what to do in an emergency situation. go over plenty of different situations. Tell him no leaving the house and no cooking on the stove, only microwave meals. GO OVER HOW TO RESPOND ON THE PHONE SO WHO EVER IS ON THE OTHER END (STRANGERS) WILL NOT KNOW THEY ARE HOMEALONE!!! TALK ABOUT WHEN SOMEONE COMES TO THE DOOR. Go over everything you feel is important and you will feel better going to work. Everything will be fine!!

JULIAN01

Answer by JULIAN01 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The only thing that might concern me is how the two kids get along. If they fight a lot when you are home with them, chances are all hell will break loose once you leave. If they get along pretty good (I know all siblings fight sometimes, but as long as it's not all out war) I think it would be fine to have the teen watch the younger sibling. Just go over the rules and let them both know how much this will help you and them out in the long run.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:07 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• It would depend on the children. If they are both well behaved/responsible children I would consider it.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• If you feel your 14 yr old is responsible and knew what to do in an emergency, then yes I would. It is not even a full time job, I think they would be fine.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:42 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I was babysitting everyday of the summer I turned 14.
    I think you should be fine. Just give detailed instructions and make sure they have a way to contact yo. It might also be a good idea to get the 14 year old a babysitting class.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:55 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• MOM YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO. A 14 YEAR OLD SHOULD BE FULLY CAPABLE OF WATCHING A 6YEAR OLD SIBLING. THIS IS ONLY TWICE A MONTH. THE NEGATIVE THING ABOUT IT IS THE DAYS. CHILDREN LOOK FORWARD TO THE WEEKENDS WHETHER ITS GOING OUT WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS OR BEING AT HOME, THEY LOOK FOWRARD TO WEEKEND FUN SO MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE TIME FOR THEM AS WELL EVEN THOUGH YOU WILL BE TIRED TO MAKE THEM FEEL ALL IS NOT LOST
    loyaljazz

Answer by loyaljazz at 1:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Not a single mom but ABSOLUTLEY!! You do what you have to do and if you are comfortable with it than go for it! I was babysitting my siblings at 12 years old!
    Anonymous

• my son was my babysitter for my two younger daughters and he was younger than your dd. He was taught to take care of emergencies. (they have babysitter's classes) He knew who to call in case of a problem. I didn't work far from home so could be home in five minutes. Sometimes a mom has to do what a mom has to do. He was very mature for his age. The girls adored him and were good for him. His dad was a jerk who didn't even check on them and didn't pay child support.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2009