my daughter is 9 she will be 10 in september. we have a gay man living right beside us. someone suggested i go ahead and tell her about sex. she knows what gay is. i have already told her about her period. what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I dont really understand what the gay man next door has to do with this question.

But yes, I believe she is old enough and needs to hear some info on sex. I would keep it simple and strait forward. Nothing too graphic.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:59 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I do not understand???Why do yo need to tell her more??You said he is a gay man not a sex offender.. Normal gay people do not go around raping children..Unless they are gay and a sex offender,thats a different subject.

Answer by louise2 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I don't think the orientation of the neighbors has any bearing on whether you should tell your child about sex. If she is asking questions, that is the time to tell her. I told DD about sex & babies when she was 8 b/c I was pregnant with DS & she was asking. If she asks about the man next door, you can answer her question in an age appropriate way. Otherwise, let her know that you are open to any questions she may have & follow her lead.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I agree with funny face. We have talked several times with our 10 year old about sex. We have also had the you love who you love talk. He knows about gay people. Did we point out every gay person we knew? No.
    We have since told him who some of the gay people we know are and he was suprised by some and not surprised about others. But these are people we know personally.
    I don't know why you would talk about the neighbors sexuality at all...straight or gay. It is not like they are having sex in the yard, right?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:35 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• YOUR GAY NEIGHBOR HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR SEX TALK, BUT FROM THE SOUND OF THIS QUESTION YOU MIGHT NOT BE THE BEST CANDIDATE TO DO SO.

Answer by older at 2:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• What does your neighbor being gay have to do with teaching your daughter about sex? It sounds more like you are having an issue with your neighbor being gay. As for talking to your daughter about sex, it is time. If you are uncomfortable with having the talk, then get a book from the library or bookstore to help out. At 10 years old, she is not too young to know about sex. I have been talking to my son about sex and things that are related since he was 5 (age appropriate, of course).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I think you may need to add more to your question because I don't think we're understanding exactly what you were asking. I'm having trouble understanding how your gay neighbor is related to talking to your daughter about sex. I'm also not sure how she can know about her period and know what gay means, but not know about sex. Are you saying that although you've explained those things to her, sex did not enter into those conversations at all, and now you are asking how to bring up the topic of sex with her? How did those topics come up and how did you deal with them? Maybe you could bring up sex in a similar way? If she is old enough to know about her period, she is definitely old enough to know about sex. There are books that are made for girls her age. If you're uncomfortable or unsure where to start, give her one of those books and let her know that if she has any questions she can ask you. That might start the conversation.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 5:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Me too. I don't get what the gay man next door has to do with talking to your daughter about sex.
    But, I would for sure talk to her about sex. I have been very open with my 9 year old about sex and bodly changes she will go through. It's better for it to be taught to them by you than her getting the wrong info from boys or anyone else for that matter.
    Anonymous