Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need advise on another c-section or trying for a VBAC

So long story short, I went into labor on my own 2 1/2 years ago with my Daughter. Things progressed nicely for quite awhile. After 33 hours of labor, I stopped progressing at 8 centimeters and she began having D-cells. They tried pitocen, and Nubian, neither worked. Then they began losing her so I was rushed to emergency c-section. They discovered her umbilical cord was around her neck and there was marconium in her lungs. Things were just against us having a natural birth with her. Now, I am pregnant again and due in September. I am scared to attempt a natural but that's all I want. What if things go wrong again? What if something happens with my scar and I tear? But I am scared of another c-section. The recovery was terrible and took over three weeks. I can't do that this time with a toddler to take care of! I Please, I just need advise and maybe some stories of success on either side. Thanks mamas

Answer Question

Asked by mommyorient at 10:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • I personally think the side effects of a c-section outweigh the tiny risk of rupture with a VBAC. I've never experienced it though, so I can't give you any real advice. I would be scared to do a VBAC w/o a dr present though, just in case. The risk of rupture is so tiny, but if you're in that tiny percent, it's very dangerous. Try and find a dr who will listen to you and be okay with a VBAC and let you labor on your own.

    Answer by corbysmom531 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • My first 4 children were all vaginal births, with my 5th child I ended up having a C-section for almost the same reason you did except minus the marconium. I hated the recovery too.

    Then when I got pregnant again I opted for a VBAC, everything went fine I had no problems and so far to date I have had 3 successful VBAC's.. its up to you on whether or not you want to try for a VBAC... they will be monitoring you for the reasons you had a c-section in the first place and if things don't go well you'll have a c-section but you would have the gratification of at least trying.

    But if your too scared then opt for the c-section because you don't need that added stress of worrying through out your pregnancy!

    What ever you decide ... is your choice

    Answer by Mommy2seven at 11:06 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • If the surgery was done properly then you won't tear. I had a vbac and I highly recommend trying it. The risks are small. My only recommendation would be that the doctor is fully aware of your previous delivery and that you are carefully monitiored. I would try home birth for that reason.

    ps. how is your daughter today? Any problems from her difficult birth?

    Answer by teamquinn at 11:07 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • Have you ever had any other surgery or stitches in the past? After 2.5 years, how's that scar look? Pretty tough, right? There's no reason to think that your uterus hasn't healed up nicely and is ready for another labor. Unless you see proof to the contrary, I say plan for an empowering VBAC!

    Answer by Sister_Kya at 11:40 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • teamquinn, my Daughter is perfect and has no problems from the birth. Thanks for asking and thanks for the other replies. I just can not decide and as much as I love my Husband, he just says what ever I want is fine with him. I just need other opinions so thanks!

    Answer by mommyorient at 1:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • I highly recommend you find a labor doula who specializes in VBACs and have her be there with you during labor. She will prove to be an invaluable resource now (while you're still pregnant), giving you all the encouragement, strength and FACTS that you CAN do this naturally (despite what the medical community may say, just to cover their butts!). During labor, she will be your advocate in the delivery room, she'll reassure your husband, she'll straight up, give you the status on your progress and she'll coach you right through to delivery, no matter the outcome.

    Hope this helps!

    Answer by cfavreau at 1:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • OK, so not having a natural birth, but having two c-sections I have to say, given all the facts, I would be scared to try a VBAC. Actually the risks of a VBAC are minimal so they say, but the risks that could occur are far more critical than just having a c-section. Do your homework, here is some info I found....

    My first c-section was emergency as well, and recovery was tough, but I was on my own, my husband was back to work and I had no family to help, therefore I tore stitches twice and got an infection. Second c-section, i was up and around in less than a week and felt more like my old self after. Ultimately it is up to you, just make an informed decision and you have to leave the rest up to your doctor. Be careful, other medical factors can increase complications as well...I just worry about you! :-)

    Answer by Momma211 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • I would say go for the VBAC. I personally know the Doctor who did your c-section and he is the best there is. I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Like some of the pp's have said, just make sure your midwife has a doctor "waiting in the wings" in case something goes wrong. I know how much having a natural childbirth is to you, and there is absolutely no reason why you can't try for one! Good luck!

    Answer by mommiecassie at 11:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.