• In the Spotlight:

Moving and transitioning my toddler to a new home...

We are moving July first and I need some advise on how to make the transition easy for my toddler. He is two and a half. I do not want him to be afraid of a new place or of a new place to sleep. I know it will be difficult for him to get used to a new environment but If anyone has any advise on how to make those first nights easy to for him to cope with please help!!!!

meagen22

Asked by meagen22 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Pack his room last & unpack it first. Make sure he has something special to keep with him during the move itself (a fav blanket or stuffed animal, especially if you are moving a long distance & have to stay in a hotel). Make it an adventure for him so he is excited. Oh, and be careful when you are moving. My DS was 11 months when we moved & he ended up with a broken leg during the moving process. You might want to have a fav sitter or grandparent watch him during the furniture moving stage.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• can you visit the home with the child a few times before moving in? if so do it.
    talk to him about the move every day & what fun it will be.
    decorate his new room & let him help.
    also don't worry kids adjust faster than adults he'll be fine.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:10 AM on Jun. 17, 2009