What colors.....

What color should I paint my new kitchen to make it seem larger. It is a great size now but I want it to feel open and inviting. Also what can i prime wallpaper with to paint over it without peeling it all off??????Thank you

meagen22

Asked by meagen22 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would go with a pale yellow...looks really nice against dark stained cabinets! Keep window treatments simple--a colorful striped valance over each window, or a wooden shelf with built in curtain rod to display a few collectibles.

Limit color scheme to 3 contrasting colors--so as not to make everything look faded. You could add dark green, navy blue, dark orange (Burnt sienna) or black accents (valances, floor mats, chair cushions, cabinet colors, countertops, etc,) to give the room some "punch!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• We have the problem of a small kitchen. When we bought the house, all the cabinets were dark wood, and the floor and walls were dark green. There was also a low-hanging light fixture in there. The whole thing felt small, dark, and cramped. We painted the walls a light sage green, and changed the floor to a cream color. The cabinets were a huge project (took about 2 weeks). We sanded them down, primed them with Kilz, then painted them a cream color. The difference was absolutely stunning. We also took down the hanging light, and installed a stainless steel fixture that is flush on the ceiling (doesn't hang). Eventually we also got new appliances--the old ones were black, and we bought new stainless steel ones. All of these things together make the kitchen look twice as big and SO much more open and airy. It's still not as big as I'd like it, but it looks a million times better than it did.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I am thinking a light yellow color. As for the wallpaper, prime over a small piece of the wallpaper that is hidden. Let it dry and see if it starts to peel or the wallpaper comes through. Sometimes you have to peel off the wallpaper before you can paint. You cannot prime over all wallpapers. My neighbor is a professional painter and this is the advice he gave me. Also, use Killz (NOT the oil based, use the water based).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Yellow--and accent with red and green.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:07 AM on Jun. 21, 2009