The DENTIST...

How can I prepare my son for his first Dentist appointment? He hates to brushing his teeth. My husband and I have to pin him down to do it. And believe me he screams the whole time. I am dreading the dentist for him. Any suggestions?

meagen22

Asked by meagen22 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take him every time one of you goes. Make it a family event... one parent gets his (or her) teeth cleaned, the other watches the toddler, letting him explore the waiting room and bringing him in to the exam room every once in a while to see the other parent getting his teeth looked at and cleaned.
    When it's finally his turn to go, schedule one of you to have an appointment just before his. Talk to the dentist about when to make that firsts visit (opinions vary, go with what your dentist wants), and what to expect. Talk to your son in the days before the visit about what will happen.

And the fight you are having will ease. It's common around this age. He is aware that he is a seperate person and is trying to exert his will to get the things he likes (like not brushing his teeth).; Stick with it and he'll learn that it's best to cooperate.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• When I first took my boy to pediatric dentist, he was fine with it, maybe take his favorite toy or stuffed animal with you.
    IRA871

Answer by IRA871 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Try singing a fun tooth song while you brush his teeth and let him watch you and your husband brush your teeth first,try bringing him to the store and letting him pick out his own tooth brush and then let him play with it and examine it a little when you get home. Try baby tooth paste , it tastes really good and babies usually don't object to having it in their mouth. Make brushing his teeth fun. As for the dentist trip try asking your dentist for tips before you go. Is your dentist a pediatric dentist? Usually pediatric dentists have a lot of experience and will have more tricks to make it easier, they also tend to have a fun child setting with murals and stuffed animals to help children feel more confortable. Does your son have a security blanket or a stuffed animal? If he does let him take it along with him. Don't make the dentist seem like a scary place because your son will pick up on your vibe and it will scare him
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2009