Is it my place to do anything? If so what should I do?

My 6 yo niece told me last night that my 13 yo sister was smoking 'drugs' ( her words) on their way to the library. So my 13 yo sister was smoking marijuana walking down the street with my 6 yo niece, and almost got in trouble by the police. When she seen the police she put it out. According to my niece she bought it from someone outside the store. I don't know where she got money from. Also my niece likes to tell stories but this I really believe. She told me she didn't want me to tell my sister but I don't want her to get away with it. My lil sister has already been caught before but my mom believes everything she says. My mom even bought a home drug test for her a little while ago but never made her take it. So what should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Our rule about speaking up is "If you're telling to get another person punished, or to make yourself look better then DON'T... but if your true intention is the well being of another person, then DO." It sound to me like you honestly want to help your sister. I think you should talk to her first -- tell her it isn't a question of believing the neice or her, but a question of where she's taking her life. Tell her you want to go with her to talk to your mother, but if she won't talk to Mom by a certain day you will share what you know because it's THAT important for her to get help, to be honest, and to get support to find a better crowd to hang with.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 12:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would tell your mom, and try talking to your sister yourself. It's a dangerous road she's going down.
    mamatware

Answer by mamatware at 11:28 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• chances r. thats all a story. y do u wanna believe the worst of this girl? believe the little one right...umm. i know, if shes ne thing lik my 7 y/o lil sister, shes makin up stories...once she told my mom that i slapped my dd in the head. really? i dont f*ckin think so. i would never do that but i got in trouble for it and my parents made me clean their room and the rest of the house and they also said im not allowed to see my df. which is my daughters dad even tho in the court agreement (i pushed for emancipation but didnt go thru so we got joint custody) stated that i lived at his house. so i think u should look into the story more b4 makin any big decision. talk to ur neice first. if she denies it hav her mom test her. it couldve even been a cig. i started smokin when i was 13. its not uncommon these days.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• im sorry. talk to ur sister. oops. my mistake.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• GO DIRECTLY TO THE SOURCE, (YOUR SISTER0 AND ASK HER WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON AND ASK HER WHY, AND TRY TO SEE WHAT SHE IS INTO IT? WEED IS A DRUG HOWEVER IF SHE IS DOING WEED IT'S NOT AS BAD, SHE DON'T NEED TO DO DRUGS AT ALL PERIOD, FIND OUT WHAT IS GOING ON AND THEN TALK TO YOUR MOM
    Anonymous

• 6 year olds kids tell different types of stories, they don't talk about pot. Talk to your mom, your sister should not be supervising the little one.
    timeflysby

Answer by timeflysby at 10:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Thanks ladies.. Well I asked my lil sister and she denied it and said it was her friends. I also told my mom and she blew it off. I knew she would. I told my niece's father and he is going to deal with it.

I know my sister shouldn't be supervising her but she is a free babysitter. My older sister pawns her off on everyone. Sad I know....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jun. 18, 2009