Storing and transporting breast milk. I have several questions...

OKAY! Here's my story... I just started pumping this week. It's going well, but I'm still getting used to it, as I've only breastfed before.
On Saturday, we're going to a wedding, out of town. I'm planning on having a couple drinks at the reception, so I'm pumping plenty for the occassion. I know the basics of storing milk, but I have a few questions:

1- I know you can't add warm milk to cold milk, but if I have 2 warmed up bottles from different pumping sessions, can I combine them? Or, if I have several bottles refrigerated, can I combine them once they're all the same temperature?

2- How do I transport so many bottles?? Should I bring a cooler? (lol)

3- Should I freeze the ones I'm pumping today, or will they be okay until Saturday evening, just refrigerated? I've heard so many different opinions on how long it can be stored in the fridge. (3 days? 5?)

Any other suggestions? I know I'm sounding lost here...

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 11:33 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here we go, yes you can mix milk from two pumping sessions once they are either all cold or all warm but make sure you stick to the "expiration time" of the older milk to keep it from going bad. As for the transportation, bring a cooler or bottle bag with a few of those little flexible ice pack things they are work well and take up very little space. The milk you pumped today will last until saturday as long as your refridgerator is set to a very cold temp. And lastly, have fun, good luck puming and good wishes.
    iluvcocacola

Answer by iluvcocacola at 12:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Ran out of room!
    Two more things here:
    I have a bottle warmer that plugs into the car, so I have that covered. :)
    Also, PLEASE no bashers, telling me to skip the drinks. I'm going to have a couple whether or not everyone approves. I'm not going to get drunk, by any means. And my SO doesn't drink, so its not like the baby will be neglected.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 11:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• 1) I have combined milk from different sessions & it was fine. I'm not sure of the "official" answer but it worked for me.
    2) Yep, bring a cooler
    3) I would freeze everything that you aren't sure about. Why go to all the bother of pumping if there is a chance the milk will go bad?

I would also time your pumping with your drinking. Pump as much as you can before the reception & if you drink a lot, I would consider throwing out the milk that you pump immediately afterwards. If you only have one drink, you are probably fine but if you have several, don't keep that milk. Just pump it for comfort & to keep up your supply.

Have fun!!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• freash pumped milk is good for 8 hours, up to 8days refridgearated,up to 3months in a freezer,u can also mix as long as both are at the same temp.go ahead and take a cooler,if u drink u dont have to pump and dump or anything,feed baby befor,its ok to have a couple drinks,resources say one beer for every hour and an other says, if ur soper enough to drive its safe to nurse.i would feed baby befor u start drinking,if ur going to have more than 3 drinks i would also make sure ur baby has a bottle later
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:51 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• 1- I know you can't add warm milk to cold milk, but if I have 2 warmed up bottles from different pumping sessions, can I combine them? Or, if I have several bottles refrigerated, can I combine them once they're all the same temperature? Yes, and I have even mixed a fresh pumped bottle to cold bottle.

2- How do I transport so many bottles?? Should I bring a cooler? (lol) I used a insulated lunch bag filled with ice packs.

3- Should I freeze the ones I'm pumping today, or will they be okay until Saturday evening, just refrigerated? I've heard so many different opinions on how long it can be stored in the fridge. (3 days? 5?) I'd freeze it.

MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• By the way you don't have to pump and dump though you might want to pump for comfort reasons when you drink. Once it leaves your blood it leaves your milk.

www.kellymom.com has great information on breastfeeding.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• you got some great answers, i just wanted to add a few things. everyone differs a little bit as to how long milk is good for, but i always went by what medela had listed on their site (don't remember right now though). the milk pumped today should be fine for saturday, but if it were me i'd probably freeze it for transport reasons only. if you do freeze it, make sure to only put 2-3 oz in a bag so when it does get thawed you'll have minimal waste. like others have said, you really don't need to pump & dump, unless you get too full (for comfort)-alcohol leaves milk when it leaves the body. i'm sure you have already thought about this, but if you've only ever breastfed are you sure your baby will take a bottle? my dd refused them, no matter who they came from. hth, have fun at the wedding!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• thanks girlies!!! great answers!
    yep, she takes the bottle. we tested the last 2 days, with 3 different nipple and bottle styles. she took them all! :)
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 2:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2009