Did an U/S tell you your baby may be small?

I don't know why I'm so paranoid, but I am! This is my 3rd baby and the 2nd pregnancy where I hardly gained any weight! The doctor had me go for an U/S the other day to make sure the baby was growing since I had lost 1 lb. and the U/S tech said everything was great with baby but he just looked to be a little on the small side.....4 lbs. 9 oz. I thought that was on target for 34 weeks, but they also said I was measuring at 33 weeks instead! Anyone ever have an U/S say your baby was small and it turned out baby was fine?!?! I'm sure everything is OK, and I go for another U/S on Friday, I was just curious if anyone else went through the same thing!

TylersMama05

Asked by TylersMama05 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was told 3 weeks before I delivered that my baby would be a big 5 or a small 6 and he turned out to be 8lbs 1oz.
    logansmommy711

Answer by logansmommy711 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• with my first baby they told me he was expected to be around 7lbs. they were just a little off lol he was 9 lbs 14oZ! usually the u/s weight is just a rough estimate. good luck! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:33 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Ummm... 4 lbs 9 oz doesnt seem small to me for a 34 weeker! They gain approximately 1/2 a pound a week at that point so that would make your baby about 7 1/2 pounds at birth which is totally average!!

I had an u/s at 35 weeks with my first to make sure he was big enough to possibly induce at 37 weeks. The ultrasound determined him to be 6 lbs 5 oz so they assumed he would be around 7 pounds when I got induced at 37 weeks. He was born weighing 5 lbs 7 oz so that ultrasound was WAY wrong

I had an u/s at the start of my induction with my daughter at 38 weeks. It showed her to be about 7 lbs 4 oz. Four hours later she was born weighing 6 lbs 7 oz... wrong again!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• And I am surprised that your doc would send you for an U/S for losing just 1 pound!! Are you sure that maybe your uterus wasnt measuring small or something? It is normal to go up and down on weight at the end because your stomach is being squished by your uterus so you cant eat as much and then when the baby "drops" It frees up some of your tummy to take in more food. With my daughter after my hyperemesis ended EVERY SINGLE VISIT I would gain 1 pound and then the next visit I would lose 2. It happened the ENTIRE pregnancy!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• When I was pregnant with Maddy the doctor's kept telling me she was small. I had a ton of ultrasounds and they always told me afterward she was going to be a small baby. Well, she was born 2 days after her due date at 8 lbs 4 oz and 22 1/2 inches... she was my smallest baby out of the three. I know it's hard not to, but try not to worry.. I bet everything will be just fine and that weight seems normal to me too at 34 weeks. :-)
    murelzgirl

Answer by murelzgirl at 12:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• At this point in the pregnancy that weight can be off by as much as a pound. So I wouldn't worry to much about it.
    logunsmommy

Answer by logunsmommy at 1:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Before I was induced at 39 weeks they did an ultrasound to determine her size to make sure it was ok to induce. They said she was going to be at least 8 pounds. A few days later I had my 6 pound 12 oz. little girl! So those things are deffinatly not accurate. And that wieght sounds right on for how many weeks along you are... so I wouldn't worry. =]
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 3:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Thanks Mamas!!!
    TylersMama05

Answer by TylersMama05 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2009