when does period start after pregnancy?

im due in august n im just curious as to when does your period usually start back up?

Desi2Sweet

Asked by Desi2Sweet at 11:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It really varies, even more so if you are breastfeeding.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Mine came back after 3 months and I was breastfeeding. Some BF mothers don't get their periods again till the baby weans. Not sure about moms who don't BF, their periods might come back sooner. Everyone's body is different though so it's hard to predict.
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 11:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Well actually, if you consider the lochia flow after birth, you need to think about sanitary supplies and leakage right away. That flow can last for almost 2 weeks depending on your activity level.

Ovulation and menstrual cycles restart at different points for different women. Many women can delay it for 6 months (or more) if they breastfeed exclusively and co-sleep so the baby has 24 hour access to the breast. However, a more common estimate is about 3 months. Regardless, if you want to avoid having your children spaced too closely, you'll want to use birth control right away and not count on a "grace period".

Good Luck!
    Sister_Kya

Answer by Sister_Kya at 12:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• With my first who was formula fed, I got my period around 7 weeks. I breastfed my second and still got my period around 8 weeks. I am one of the *lucky* women who still get periods while breastfeeding lol.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2009