How many days can your baby go without a poopy diaper?

My son is 4 months old and is going on his 3rd day without a dirty diaper. most parents would be ecstatic but im beginning to get a little concerned. i give him 3 to 4 oz of prune/water mixture a day as the doctor ordered. is there a problem? should i be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know if there is a problem. I don't think you should be too worried. Just call the doctor back especially if he still doesn't have a dirty diaper after 4-5 days.
    melissa0425

Answer by melissa0425 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Is he FF? BF? On solids?

If he's BF it can be up to a week and sometimes longer without a bowel movement. BM is just so great that they produce very little waste.

If he's on solids then you might want to take him off them.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• is he a formula baby or breastfed? breastfed babies can go for up to 10 days without pooping and have that be considered normal. i'm not really sure what the limit is for formula babies, but i personally would question the doc telling you to give prune juice and water to a 4 month old. if dd seemed to be in pain, my pediatrician suggested glycerin suppositories (but we never had to use them).
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I second the PPs about BF babies. It can be up to a week or longer between BF baby poops!
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• For formula babies, my doc said 3 was normal..sometimes four days!! not pooping is okay..its more the straining hard balls of poop to be worried about!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• i get nervous if DS goes even two days without a poop, if he hasnt on that third day then I'd be calling the pedi.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My son used to go a week at a time without pooping and the doctor said it was just fine. A breastfed baby can go up to 2 weeks without pooping... formula fed 3-4 days is fine
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2009