Alternative to cow's milk for my one year old son?

I am looking for an alternative to cow's milk for my soon to be one year old son. I do not want to give him cow's milk or goat's milk. I am steering away from dairy and would love some ideas for foods that would give him the necessary fats and cholesterol that he would need. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are going to give him rice milk.

Thanks!

Baku76

Asked by Baku76 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try soy milk....I used it for my DD just plain silk not flavored
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 12:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• They make formula for toddlers. It is specifically made to match the nutritious needs of an older baby
    logansmommy711

Answer by logansmommy711 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Almond milk works best for my son (now 2 1/2). Oat milk seemed to give him the same digestive problems as cow milk (way too many bowel movements) and soy milk seemed to constipate him. He hates rice milk and I can't say I blame him.
    Mrs.Soule

Answer by Mrs.Soule at 12:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• the formula will still have dairy in it but it will also have the fats that the baby needs. careful steering away from dairy though, i wanted to do the same thing, seeing as humans are the only mamals that continue to drink milk after infancy i thought it was pretty uneccesary but my sons dr told me that we could cause my son to become lactose intolerant if we didnt keep him exposed to at least SOMe dairy. anyway good luck! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Rice milk ro soy milk should be fine - my son gets soy
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My daughter gets rice milk, but it was because the allergy to milk and soy protein that she had as an infant carried over and her little tummy couldn't handle the whole milk.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 9:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Thank you so much ladies for all of your tips and advice! I think we may go the toddler formula route. He has not tolerated milk well but for some reason the formula does not bother him. I'm sure I'll be asking you all more about this.
    Baku76

Answer by Baku76 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2009