What kind of chores should a 3 1/2 year old have?

hnfields

Asked by hnfields at 12:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my neighbors little girl is two and she makes her help with dishes, ex: put up the silverware. and she has to clean her own room and pick up after herself.
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 12:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I think that at that age the very least they could do is clean up their room and the other messes that they make during the day
    logansmommy711

Answer by logansmommy711 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Mine always puts away the silverware (no knives of course!) and he always sorts them correctly! He helps bring in a bag or two of groceries, so if you don't mind squished bread lol, that's an easy one. He gets me the jelly & bread out of the fridge when I make PB&J for him. He cleans his toys before he goes to bed and before we leave the house, and if he spills something, he gets a paper towel to clean it. I usually don't even have to tell him to do those things. He'll also take the little brush and dustpan and sweep up crumbs.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 12:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My son is two and I let him help wipe the kitchen table, he helps clean any spills he makes, we are working on cleaning up his pig pen of a room, my son's favorite chore is sweeping the kitchen. He loves our swivel sweeper and goes to town in the kitchen. He thinks its playing and he is so excited he over cleans it. LOL! Battteries die everytime!
    Charlies_mommy

Answer by Charlies_mommy at 12:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I let my son dust...he loves those Swiffer things...it's GREAT...he does the dining room and coffee table legs, the chairs and if I bribe him with a lollipop he'll even do the floor boards!!!! I should write a Thank you note to Swiffer!!!! LOL
    ivebcummymother

Answer by ivebcummymother at 4:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I got a Swiffer Carpet Flick and took one of the metal tubes out of the handle to make it shorter for her and she "vacuums" with it.  I fill a squirt bottle with water/vinegar/a touch of vanilla extract (smells nicer) and let her spray and wipe the walls and windows.  She helps load and unload the dishwasher and the washing machine/dryer.  She cleans up her toys at bath time and wipes up her spills.  She is a very eager helper especially now that I am pregnant and having trouble doing some things.

MammaMcC

Answer by MammaMcC at 6:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• my little guy is three,his mommy is a very tidy person,everything has its place and thats where it belongs.I dont force him to do anything,I love how egar he is and wants to do things and be a Big helper on his own,but he is expected to "help"clean up HIS toys...when ever Im dusting,he runs to teh closet and gets his broom & dust pan,he even has a small vaccum as well..He will use the swifter on the tv and when thats not evenough,I give him a wet rag with water and he can wash whatever he pleases.he is really good about cleaning up anything on the floor and putting it in the trash,he LOVES to help switch loads and put stuff in the drier,when its bath time,he will undress and put his clothes in the hamper,he even cleans his bath toys up,I think it gives him sothing to look forward to,he is my only son,he loves to be involved in anything that Mommy's doing,so its a great way for us to clean,put some music on and dance away!!
    BlakesMommy2006

Answer by BlakesMommy2006 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My 3yo cleans up her room (by herself), puts dirty clothes in the hamper, is learning to put her clean clothes away (like my other kids did at 3), she puts her dirty dishes in the sink, cleans the table up where she ate, cleans the floor up if she spills something, keeps her toys out of the living room, dusts (those swiffer dusters are great), tries to sweep with the little broom we have, puts up the kids' dishes from the dishwasher (all plastic), helps pick up garbage in the yard, etc.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• It's great that you are starting early. Keep it simple. Dusting, picking up toys, bringing her own dishes to the sink after eating.  http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=1  

momjs

Answer by momjs at 11:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My 3 yo son picks up his toys before bedtime, and when I start to vaccum. He puts away the pots and pans from the dishwasher, helps on the dusting, he also tries to help me change the sheets on the bed. He also puts away his dirty clothes in his clothes hamper. Lots of other things... he also helps his daddy outside in the yard.. Picking up sticks, etc!
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 1:20 AM on Jun. 19, 2009