Any advice for my diabetic husband?

He found out he is diabetic from a trip to the ER. He hasn't made a doctors appt yet. I am just looking for advice from personal experience.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Health

• Diet can help, changing what he eats helps, and cutting out all sugars. My mom is diabetic. The dr does need to figure how bad it is and if it can be controled by diet, if not then he may be put on meds, or insulin shots. Diet and excersizeing. This means you guys are going to have to check lables when buying things from the store, also limit the about of breads/bread like products he has. If you have to get something that has suger make sure its a low amount like in the single digits.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 12:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• A good sugar substitute is splenda
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 12:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Carbohydrates are a diabetic's enemy. The body does need carbs, but you'd be surprised at how few you really DO need. Have him cut out breads, potatoes, rice and pasta. Those are the worst "triggers" for high blood sugar next to out and out sugar. See, carbs turn into glucose during digestion and if you don't burn them off with exercise during the few hours after eating they'll raise blood sugar and turn into fat around internal organs. If he can spread out his consumption of carbs throughout the day he'll do better. Another thing is to get a lot of fiber in his diet because fiber helps block the absorption of carbs into the bloodstream. So, a good healthy breakfast would be an egg white omelet with veggies and low fat cheese or a high fiber cereal like All-Bran. Lunch could be a huge salad with 2 oz. lean meat and cheese added. Dinner, lean meats, plenty of veggies and a whole grain roll.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Also add small snacks throughout the day: whole grain crackers with hummus or cheese, cheese sticks, sugar free jello or pudding, an apple, pear or 1/2 banana, celery ribs stuffed with cream cheese.

You're going to have to learn to read labels on foods and count the carbs. If the food has fiber, subtract that from the carbs to get the NET carb effect. Example: All-Bran has 23g carbs per 1/2 cup serving and 10g fiber for a NET carb effect of 13g. Cornflakes have 24g carbs per 1 cup serving with 1g fiber, NET carb effect of 23 g. Cornflakes will raise his blood sugars higher than the All-Bran will.

Many processed foods have added sugar and starches that make them very unhealthy for diabetics, even the so-called diet foods. Check out a box of SnackWell cookies or diet cookies...they'll still have plenty of carbs even if the sugar is cut.

Exercise is also vitally important! It'll help burn off extra glucose.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and still have issues with my blood sugar getting off from time to time. The best thing to start with is to eliminate all white sugar and white flour products (white flour is converted to bad sugar in your body) I buy large quantities of raw honey that is local for my baking and even for my herbal teas. If you use it for your lemonade make sure you melt it first with a little water before you add to your juice container, it mixes better this way. I also buy bulk wheat berries and grind them with an electric wheat grinder for great (nutrient rich flour) if you can't do this at least go to WHOLE wheat or grain breads with no sugar. Email me for more about supplements etc.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 1:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2009