To, working breastfeeding moms.......How did it go.

I am recently having to go back to work after being a stay at home mommy for the past 2 1/2 years due to economic difficulties. As a mother who has exclusively breast fed both my babies, my panic is rising. I start my new job tomorrow and I am terrified that I will not be able to produce enough milk for my husband to feed my 6 month old son when I am gone. As a woman with a mother who is a midwife, I know that I may be putting myself in a panic for no reason but I can't help but worry. I DO NOT want my son on formula! I have seen babies that have colic, upset stomachs and just not very happy because of formula. My lil boy is the happiest , healthiest little boy and I contribute it to breastfeeding. My husband is very supportive with breastfeeding and he too does not want to formula feed. Besides drinking water, does anyone have advice such as when is the best time to pump etc. or how your experience went?

Lia11721

Asked by Lia11721 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I went back to work when my son was 3 months old. He is now 6 1/2 and I have been able to pump enough milk every day to keep him on breast milk only. I find morning to be the best time. I get the most milk in the morning. I pump every 3 hours which is approx. how often my son eats. I always have a bowl of oatmeal (just because people say it helps) for breakfast, I drink approx 32 ounces of water between each pumping session, and I snack all day. It is a pain but well worth it. Good luck
    J.P

Answer by J.P at 12:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I went back to work for a month when my dd was 6 weeks. I took my pump in a gym bag and pumped 3 times a day at work. My workplace had a fridge where I stored the milk during the day. I did that for a month and then was lucky enough to quit my job to stay home - but my baby has never had formula, still exclusively breastfed. It can be done while you work. Good luck to you!
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Since you are starting work tomorrow did you already start to freeze the milk?

It is recommended to drink water before and even during pumping. Also sometimes when you have a double pump it helps with let down. How about Mothers Milk tea by Traditional Medicinals? One of my books say the morning is a great time to pump while another time is in teh middle f the night. Does your 6 month old take long naps or sleep through the night?
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Loa, I have started pumping and freezing but I only have about 20 oz stored. I do drink alot of water though because I got addicted to it with my first pregnancy. Since I am breastfeeding, I feel like I can't go an hour without water or I feel dehydrated. As to the sleeping, his naps are varied according to his growth spurts. Sometimes he takes 3 hour naps and sometimes only 10 minutes. But he takes generally 3 a day. At night he wakes up 1-2 times to feed but then goes right back to sleep.
    Lia11721

Answer by Lia11721 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I didn't have any trouble with pumping at work. I had frozen milk stored up before starting but found I didn't need it often because I had plenty with what I had pumped at work. Usually I used my frozen supply on Mondays when I had been home all weekend and not had any pumped.
    I would just add an extra pumping session in during the day that way you have plenty stored incase of a growth spurt or whatever.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My son is 26 months and I worked 6 days a week...5 as a full time teacher and one at a coffee shop, my son never ever had a drop of formula and had no milk but mine til 17 months no cows milk til 19 months and still nurses often in the day. I stopped pumping at 19.5 months btw.

It can be done for sure, my pumping amounts sucked. Make sure hubby reads and understand how to bottlefeed a breastfed baby on kellymom. Remember the 1-1.25 oz an hour rule, so if you work 8 hours leave 8-10oz total for him to have....be determined, no bottles when home ever for any reason. get a great pump, its an investment and money better spent than on formula.

pump a few times a day even on weekends to keep up storage amounts to fall back on. remember there is herbs, meds, and teas to help increase supply. Eat oatmeal daily, make lactation cookies

YOu can do it and feel free to message me if you have an issue...I know how hard it is!!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2009