when can the doctors start estimating how much the baby will weigh at birth?

I'm only 25 so I know of course right now there's no way to tell but I was wondering at what point in pregnancy can the doctors start to give you a rough estimate as to how big your baby will be?

javila

Asked by javila at 12:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My doctor told me the entire pregnancy that my daughter would be between 7 and 8 lbs. When they did an ultra sound at 37 weeks, they determined that she was only about 5lbs. She was born at 39 weeks at 5 lbs 6 oz. I have heard A LOT of people who's doc estimates and the baby is born with a significant difference than the estimate.
    Anonymous

• its just an estimate and hardly EVER accurate but I would say they start to say it around 37 weeks or so. 9:31 anon... I am sure your doc said she would be around 7 to 8 pounds because that is the average birth weight for babies so it is estimated that they will all be about that.

Ultrasounds are inaccurate too for birth weights so I would just wait til the baby is born to find out!! Because no matter what you are told, its not gonna be true! When I was in labor with my daughter the midwife (who has a track record of being pretty accurate) said she would be 8 pounds. I laughed in her face and told her that there was no way that I was having an 8 pound baby. 2 hours later I gave birth to my daughter, looked at my midwife and said "See Cecelia, she is little. She is NOT 8 pounds" (those were the first words out of my mouth after telling my son to look at his new sister) She was 6 lbs 7 oz
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The day your baby is born. The estimates are just that. They are highly inaccurate. The size measurements of a baby on ultrasound are even more inaccurate the further along you are.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• They said my first would be maybe 6LBS something, so I bought a premee outfit and he ended up being 8LBS 3OZ and my second they said nothing over 7 1/2lbs and she was 8lbs 7oz and this one is measuring 2 weeks ahead and im all belly again. They said another big baby for you. I've had different doctors for all too.
    Anonymous

• A good doctor doesn't try to estimate it since there is no reliable way of determining it.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I get sono once a week and they measure the abdominal space and the thigh bone as well as the head to estimate how big the baby will be.. But it can be off 3 pounds either way bigger or smaller so they never really know they say my son is 8 lbs 9 oz Monday but I can believe that my daughter was 8 lbs 13 oz
    RyHouston

Answer by RyHouston at 3:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2009