When should I start?

Ok so I know that at one year, we are supposed to start our little ones on whole milk, correct? So is there a point where I should start mixing whole milk in to his formula, half & half? My son is currently 10 months old, nearing 11 months...

Please let me know ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what we did was mix gradually with maybe 2/3 of the bottle for a week and next week gradually go up some it wont hurt the baby long as you gradually do it shouldnt be a big deal
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 12:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Most drs suggest waiting until exactly one year. My son is 9 month and on only cows milk, because he refuses formula, and I couldn't breastfeed, for more then two months my supply dried up. He is also eating 5-6 small meals a day (hotdogs, hamburgers, sandwiches, basically what i cook at home) His dr approved it though. The reason they don't want a baby on whole milk is it has no nutrition for them, and theres also things about allergies being caused from drinking cows milk to early. This is something that should be discussed with your sons pediatrician.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 12:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Somehow on their 1st birthday, babies' digestive systems seem to magically be able to tolerate cow's milk. I'm not sure on what's "normal". We just started our kids on milk whenever I was done nursing.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I only gave mine formula until he turned 1. It wasn't until after his first birthday that I started gradually switching over to whole milk. If memory serves, I did it one ounce at a time and he never had any issues with it.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 12:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Thank you Moms!
    Anonymous

• I know a lot of moms start gradually transitioning at 11 months so when their child turns one they're ready to be on cow's milk full time. Ask your doctor what he recommends.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would say you can start gradually mixing in just a small amount after he is 11 months. I wouldn't switch to only cows milk til after 12 months because their bodies need time to adjust to the proteins in cows milk. Also look into buying organic milk when you do put him on whole milk since non-organic can contain bovine growth hormones which are linked to increased cancer risks and early onset of puberty.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I waited until after my son turned one and had his dr. check-up, then started transitioning to whole milk. That way, I knew his stomach could handle it. It won't hurt to wait until after a year to start. At least you will be sure he's ready.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009