Cereal for the first time. Not in a bottle, right?

I just brought my DD to her 4 month doctor appointment. The doc told me that we can give her cereal, I know that I have read that you are not suppose to give the cereal in the bottle. My SO says we should have asked the doc to see if that is true. Also, I know the grandmas are going to say that we should. I have to know for sure, so I can back up my arguement!

Asked by Amber727 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cereal is not needed and it's never supposed to be given in a bottle. It's a choking hazard and can make baby fat. Spoon only. If baby cannot eat off a spoon they are too young for solids.

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• You're not supposed to, because then your baby could eat too much and be overweight! I believe that is what I read, anyway. Also, it's good to spoon feed them,because it's good practice for them. I must admit I did it a few times.

• I gave it to my son in a bottle, you just have to get the nipples for that or like stage 3 nipples so the hole is big enough for the cerial to go threw, I don't think I ever just made it and fed it to him, I feed him yogurt and stuff. Good Luck!

Answer by NicholeAT at 12:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Thats a 50/50 thing with son needed cereal, wouldnt eat it off a spoon so it went in his dont give them that much anyway atleast not until theyre older, when theyre older and they eat thick cereal you wouldnt put it in a bottle! but if your only putting a tablespoon in it i dont see the harm...its your child...see what works for you!!!!

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I gave my son cereal in his bottle when I was just trying to give him a little to help him sleep, but when it was a meal I gave it to him on a spoon. It'll be messy at first, but it's good practice.

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I did both ways, I would spoon feed him in the morning. Its helps them learn to eat from a spoon. but at night i would sometime put it in his bottle, my mil and sil told me i should. I always read not to. But i dont think it would hurt your baby if you did. its up to you,

Answer by DilsMommy at 1:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My son had cereal in a bottle. It's a personal choice just like everything else. Good luck either way. =]

Answer by LyTe684 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I did! i mixed some in the bottle. Just enough for it to not clog up the nibble.

Answer by aznblond9 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• IMO I would NOT listen to your doctor.

I would not give cereal at all. It is dangerous if it is in a bottle. Also, be prepared once you start giving cereal too early you will be back on here needing help b/c your baby is not pooping regularly or is constipated.

• I gave my babies cereal in their bottles (only a teaspoon in a 4 ounce bottle). They are just fine.

Answer by kustomkrochet at 1:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009