Cereal for the first time. Not in a bottle, right?

I just brought my DD to her 4 month doctor appointment. The doc told me that we can give her cereal, I know that I have read that you are not suppose to give the cereal in the bottle. My SO says we should have asked the doc to see if that is true. Also, I know the grandmas are going to say that we should. I have to know for sure, so I can back up my arguement!

Amber727

Asked by Amber727 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cereal is not needed and it's never supposed to be given in a bottle. It's a choking hazard and can make baby fat. Spoon only. If baby cannot eat off a spoon they are too young for solids.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• You're not supposed to, because then your baby could eat too much and be overweight! I believe that is what I read, anyway. Also, it's good to spoon feed them,because it's good practice for them. I must admit I did it a few times.
    Anonymous

• I gave it to my son in a bottle, you just have to get the nipples for that or like stage 3 nipples so the hole is big enough for the cerial to go threw, I don't think I ever just made it and fed it to him, I feed him yogurt and stuff. Good Luck!
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 12:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Thats a 50/50 thing with everybody...my son needed cereal, wouldnt eat it off a spoon so it went in his bottle...you dont give them that much anyway atleast not until theyre older, when theyre older and they eat thick cereal you wouldnt put it in a bottle! but if your only putting a tablespoon in it i dont see the harm...its your child...see what works for you!!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I gave my son cereal in his bottle when I was just trying to give him a little to help him sleep, but when it was a meal I gave it to him on a spoon. It'll be messy at first, but it's good practice.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I did both ways, I would spoon feed him in the morning. Its helps them learn to eat from a spoon. but at night i would sometime put it in his bottle, my mil and sil told me i should. I always read not to. But i dont think it would hurt your baby if you did. its up to you,
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 1:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My son had cereal in a bottle. It's a personal choice just like everything else. Good luck either way. =]

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I did! i mixed some in the bottle. Just enough for it to not clog up the nibble.
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• IMO I would NOT listen to your doctor.

I would not give cereal at all. It is dangerous if it is in a bottle. Also, be prepared once you start giving cereal too early you will be back on here needing help b/c your baby is not pooping regularly or is constipated.
    Anonymous

• I gave my babies cereal in their bottles (only a teaspoon in a 4 ounce bottle). They are just fine.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 1:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009